1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix Representation of Operators

1. Oct 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is quite a long problem, and I have most of it figured out, but I am getting stuck on the very last part of the problem. My problem is I do not understand how to find [itex]\left\langle\psi|a_1\right\rangle[/itex] in the very last line. Is [itex]\left\langle\psi|a_1\right\rangle=(\left\langle a_1|\psi\right\rangle)^*[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

In a given basis [itex]\left\langle a^{(i)}\right|[/itex], operators are represented by [itex]A_{i,j}=\left\langle a^{(j)}|A|a^{(i)}\right\rangle[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

wH1CuBs.jpg
    2UB3ehS.jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2013 #2
    oh dang. this doesnt recognize braket package! just one sec

4. Oct 19, 2013 #3
    ok. so sorry for posting so much stuff. but this is the only part of the question I cannot figure out and I do not have a chance to talk to anyone before the mid term. so if someone would take the time to look at it I would be very greatful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted