1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix similarity

1. Jan 7, 2008 #1
    Question 1
    If A and B are similar matrices, then prove that A is nonsingular if and only if B is nonsingular.

MY SOLUTION:
    B is nonsingular if it's columns are linearly independent
    P[tex]^{-1}[/tex]AP=B where the main diagonal of B is made of eigenvectors of A.
    How does this affect the nonsingularity of A ????? this is where I am stuck.

Question 2
    If A and B are similar matrices, Show that if B=PAP[tex]^{-1}[/tex] then det(B)=det(A)

MY SOLUTION
    As B=PAP[tex]^{-1}[/tex] this implies that BP=PA
    Taking the determinant of both sides.
    det(BP)=det(PA)
    when expanded, we have det(B).det(P)=det(P)det(A) therefore det(B)=det(A)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

1. Here's an easier way to think about it: Let A, B be square matrices of same size. AB = C. Note that [tex]C^{-1} = B^{-1}A^{-1}[/tex]. Which effectively means that if C is invertible (non-singular), then it must be the case that A,B whose matrix product make up C must also be invertible. You can generalise this to mean that if a square matrix A is invertible, then its "product components" (ie. all the possible square matrices which maybe multiplied together to give A) must also be invertible.

2. I think your answer is ok.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?