Matrix solution for k>n, k<=n, and k=n equations and variables

• Thread starter nhrock3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses a homogeneous equation system with k equations and n variables. If k>n, there are endless solutions due to free variables. If k<=n, one of the equations will turn into a line of zeros. The type of solution also depends on the linear independence of the equations.
nhrock3
i can't think theoretically here.
there is a homogeneos equation system which has k equations and n variables.

what type of solution we have if for k>n?

what type of solution we have if for k<=n?

first of all i can't deside if the equatins oare independant.

if k>n then we have endless solutions because of the free variables.

if k<=n then we will have one of the equations which will turn to a line of zeros

so i don't know what is the solution of this

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'd actually divide it into three situations...

k>n, k=n, and k<n.

If k<n, that is, there are less equations than variables, then you have free variables and endless solutions.

If k>n, that is, there are more equations than variables, then it's possible that you have no solution, one solution, or infinite solutions, depending on linear independency and some other factor that I can't name.

If k=n and all of the equations are linearly independent, then there should be 1 solution.

1. What is a matrix solution question?

A matrix solution question is a type of problem in mathematics where a matrix (a rectangular array of numbers or symbols) is given, and the goal is to find the values of the variables that satisfy the given equations or conditions.

2. How do you solve a matrix solution question?

To solve a matrix solution question, you can use various methods such as Gaussian elimination, Cramer's rule, or matrix inverses. These methods involve manipulating the given matrix using basic operations (such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication) to find the values of the variables.

3. What are some real-life applications of matrix solutions?

Matrix solutions have various real-life applications, such as in computer graphics, where matrices are used to represent 3D objects and their transformations. They are also used in economics to model supply and demand, in engineering to solve systems of equations, and in biology to study population dynamics.

4. Can a matrix solution have multiple solutions?

Yes, a matrix solution can have multiple solutions. This usually occurs when the matrix is underdetermined (has more variables than equations) or has infinitely many solutions. In these cases, the solution set will have more than one possible combination of values for the variables.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a matrix solution question?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a matrix solution question include forgetting to perform row operations correctly, not paying attention to the signs in the matrix, and not checking for any extraneous solutions. It is also essential to double-check your final answer and make sure it satisfies all the given equations or conditions.