1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix, solve, parametres

1. Oct 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    hi. i have a linear equation with parameters that i am trying to solve. unknowns are x, y and z.
    (12-3t)x + 2y +2z =2
    x +0*y +2z =0
    12x + (2-t)y + (2-t)z = 12

i am using a matrix-approach with Gaussian-elimination, and my results (for values of t which allows for a specific solution) seem reasonable, but the the variables depend on t. is this correct, or will the answers be without the parameter t even if t is not specified. i believe i have seen a similar problem in one of my books where the solution is without the parameter t.

2. Relevant equations
    am i getting it wrong?

3. The attempt at a solution
    x= -(2t+20)/(3t2t), y= -(37t-110)/(3t2t), z= (t+10)/(3t2t)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you're doing just fine. For every value of t (*) you have a different set of equations, so it's no wonder t appears in the solution.

(*) for t=0 you get conflicting equations, so it's not surprising there is no answer for x,y,z.

4. Oct 31, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am puzzled as to why you are writing "[itex]t^2t[/itex]" rather than "[itex]t^3[/itex]". Am I misunderstanding what you mean?

5. Nov 1, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check the denominator. I think you just copied it wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted