Is My Matrix Approach to Solving Linear Equations with Parameters Correct?

In summary, the speaker is asking for clarification on whether or not their use of a matrix-approach with Gaussian-elimination to solve a linear equation with parameters is correct. They mention that their results seem reasonable, but the variables depend on the parameter t and they want to know if this is correct or if the answers should be without the parameter. The expert responds that the speaker is doing fine and that for every value of t, there will be a different set of equations. The expert also points out that for t=0, there is no solution due to conflicting equations. The expert also mentions a possible mistake in the speaker's solution, noting that t^2t should be t^3.
monsmatglad

Homework Statement

hi. i have a linear equation with parameters that i am trying to solve. unknowns are x, y and z.
(12-3t)x + 2y +2z =2
x +0*y +2z =0
12x + (2-t)y + (2-t)z = 12

i am using a matrix-approach with Gaussian-elimination, and my results (for values of t which allows for a specific solution) seem reasonable, but the the variables depend on t. is this correct, or will the answers be without the parameter t even if t is not specified. i believe i have seen a similar problem in one of my books where the solution is without the parameter t.

Homework Equations

am i getting it wrong?

The Attempt at a Solution

x= -(2t+20)/(3t2t), y= -(37t-110)/(3t2t), z= (t+10)/(3t2t)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're doing just fine. For every value of t (*) you have a different set of equations, so it's no wonder t appears in the solution.

(*) for t=0 you get conflicting equations, so it's not surprising there is no answer for x,y,z.

I am puzzled as to why you are writing "[itex]t^2t[/itex]" rather than "[itex]t^3[/itex]". Am I misunderstanding what you mean?

monsmatglad said:

The Attempt at a Solution

x= -(2t+20)/(3t2t), y= -(37t-110)/(3t2t), z= (t+10)/(3t2t)
Check the denominator. I think you just copied it wrong.

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics, statistics, and computer science to represent and manipulate data or perform operations.

2. How do you solve a matrix?

To solve a matrix, you need to perform different operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division on its elements. These operations can be done using specific rules and algorithms, depending on the type of matrix and the desired outcome.

3. What are the parameters of a matrix?

The parameters of a matrix refer to its characteristics or properties that help define its size, shape, and behavior. These parameters include the number of rows and columns, the type of elements, the order or arrangement, and the operations that can be performed on the matrix.

4. Can a matrix have different parameters?

Yes, a matrix can have different parameters depending on its purpose and context. For example, a matrix used to represent a system of equations may have different parameters than a matrix used to store and manipulate image data. The parameters can vary in terms of size, shape, and operations that can be performed.

5. How do you use matrices in science?

Matrices have various applications in science, such as in physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They can be used to represent and solve systems of equations, analyze data, model complex systems, and perform calculations in computer simulations. Matrices are also essential in statistical analysis, data mining, and machine learning algorithms.