Matrix System of Equations -

In summary, the problem is asking for a way to solve for a specific coordinate in terms of the others.
josh3189
Need some help with questions like this. I'm quite confused as to how to answer it in general.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2rhu6f7&s=6

I've posted only the first first basic problem as I can do the rest if I understand the logic behind this.

I actually encountered this while I was studying the introduction to linear algebra system of linear equations chapter.

What do "s" and "t" represent in this?

Physics news on Phys.org
4x+ 9y+ 7z= 14 is the equation of a plane in an xyz- coordinate system. Since a plane is two dimensional, it can be written as parametric equations in two parameters. s and t are the parameters. There is no single "correct" answer- there are an infinite number of ways to choose the parameters, giving an infinite number of answers. One very simple method is to solve for one of the coordinates, say, z, in terms of the others: z= 2- (4/7)x- (9/7)y and use x and y as parameters: x= s, y= t, z= 2- (4/7)s- (9/7)t.

HallsofIvy said:
4x+ 9y+ 7z= 14 is the equation of a plane in an xyz- coordinate system. Since a plane is two dimensional, it can be written as parametric equations in two parameters. s and t are the parameters. There is no single "correct" answer- there are an infinite number of ways to choose the parameters, giving an infinite number of answers. One very simple method is to solve for one of the coordinates, say, z, in terms of the others: z= 2- (4/7)x- (9/7)y and use x and y as parameters: x= s, y= t, z= 2- (4/7)s- (9/7)t.

Yeah, I considered that but as you can see in the question s and t act as a constant for the whole column. If I consider s = x, it becomes a problem when I am solving it in terms of x. The question I posted basically has only one possible answer for those blanks or so my prof says. Any ideas?

josh3189 said:
Yeah, I considered that but as you can see in the question s and t act as a constant for the whole column. If I consider s = x, it becomes a problem when I am solving it in terms of x. The question I posted basically has only one possible answer for those blanks or so my prof says. Any ideas?

The sentence before the last one is incomprehensible: I have no idea what you are attempting to say. If your prof. claims there is only one possible form he/she is wrong. If we solve for x in terms of y and z we get
x = 7/2 -(9/4)*y -(7/4)*z, so if we set s = y and t = z we have
$$\pmatrix{x\\y\\z} = \pmatrix{7/2\\0\\0} + s \pmatrix{-9/4\\1\\0} + t \pmatrix{-7/4\\0\\1}.$$
However, if we solve for y in terms of x and z we have y = 14/9 -(4/9)*x -(7/9)*z, so if x = s and z = t we have
$$\pmatrix{x\\y\\z} = \pmatrix{0\\14/9\\0} + s \pmatrix{1\\-4/9\\0} + t \pmatrix{0\\-7/9\\1}.$$
Still other representations can be obtained.

Basically, you want to describe any point in the plane by a 2-dimensional coordinate system lying in the plane. That means giving an "origin"---any specific point in the plane-- and two "axes" lying in the plane and emanating from the origin. These would be any two linearly independent vectors <x,y,z> that solve 4x+ 9y+ 7z= 0.

RGV

1. What is a matrix system of equations?

A matrix system of equations is a set of equations that are written in matrix form. This means that the equations are organized into rows and columns, with the coefficients of the variables placed in a matrix. This method is often used to solve systems of equations with multiple variables.

2. How do you solve a matrix system of equations?

To solve a matrix system of equations, you can use a variety of methods such as Gauss-Jordan elimination, substitution, or Cramer's rule. These methods involve manipulating the equations and using mathematical operations to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

3. What are the benefits of using a matrix system of equations?

Using a matrix system of equations allows for a more organized and efficient way to solve systems of equations with multiple variables. It also allows for the use of linear algebra techniques and tools, which can be useful in more complex systems of equations.

4. Can you have a matrix system of equations with more than two variables?

Yes, a matrix system of equations can have any number of variables. The number of equations in the system must be equal to the number of variables in order for there to be a unique solution. If there are more equations than variables, the system is considered overdetermined and may not have a unique solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using a matrix system of equations?

While a matrix system of equations can be useful for solving certain types of systems, it may not be the most efficient method for all types of equations. It also requires a good understanding of linear algebra and matrix operations, which may be challenging for some individuals.