Proving Q=RP for Matrix A Using Commutative Property | Matrix Theory Homework

In summary, the problem is asking to show that if B is approximately equal to A, and (P^-1)*A*P = B and (Q^-1)*A*Q = B, then Q is equal to RP where R is a nonsingular matrix that commutes with A. The solution to this problem involves playing around with the equations and using properties such as the fact that if R^-1AR = A, then AR = RA. Another approach is to evaluate (QP^-1)^-1A(QP^-1).
arpitm08

Homework Statement

If B≈A with (P^-1)*A*P = B and also (Q^-1)*A*Q = B, show that Q=RP where R is a nonsingular matrix that commutes with A.

Homework Equations

AR = RA

The Attempt at a Solution

Our professor told us that it is easier to just play around with these equations and get the answer. That breaking them down to their elements would be a ton of work. I tried multiplying by a bunch of various ways. First I changed the equivalence formulas to, AP=PB and AQ=QB, and I tried multiplying by R, because of the commuting factor, but I couldn't get anywhere doing that. If someone could give me a hint as to if I'm missing a property or something that could help me out, that'd be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi arpitm08! :smile:

hint: what happens if you multiply either equation by Q ? :wink:

i have an alternate approach:

note that B = P-1AP is the same as: A = PBP-1.

also, note that if R-1AR = A, then AR = RA.

what happens if you evaluate (QP-1)-1A(QP-1)?

isn't that the same as mine, except using P instead of Q ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
isn't that the same as mine, except using P instead of Q ? :wink:

your previous hint was:

"multiply either equation by Q".

i count 5 "=" in the OP's post, so it is unclear to me which two of them you mean. i suppose you mean:

1) P-1AP = B
2) Q-1AQ = B

note that "multiply by Q" is not unambiguously defined, since Mat(n,F) is a non-commutative monoid. presumably you meant "left-multiply by Q".

i think your IDEA is the same idea as mine, i think our hints are not.

1. What is Matrix Theory?

Matrix Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of matrices, which are rectangular arrays of numbers or symbols. It involves understanding their properties, operations, and applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What are the basic components of a matrix?

A matrix is made up of rows and columns, with each element in the matrix represented by a particular position within the rows and columns. The number of rows and columns determines the size of the matrix.

3. What are the different types of matrices?

There are several types of matrices, including square matrices, which have an equal number of rows and columns, and rectangular matrices, which have different numbers of rows and columns. Other types include identity matrices, diagonal matrices, and symmetric matrices.

4. What are the operations that can be performed on matrices?

Matrices can be added, subtracted, and multiplied by a scalar. Matrix multiplication, in particular, is an important operation that involves multiplying the elements of one matrix by the elements of another matrix to produce a new matrix.

5. How are matrices used in real-world applications?

Matrices have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. They are used to represent and solve systems of linear equations, model complex systems, and store and manipulate data in computer programs.