Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix theory

1. Oct 22, 2004 #1
    Hi all,

I once read an article about a sort of matrix theory: that we are only a computer simulation which a supercumputer runs in the future to let the people experience there what the past was like. Does that ring a bell to anyone? I really need this article again but am not sure what search terms to use.

thanks a lot,
    Maritine

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Of course The Matrix was a series of hit movies on this theme, and the first one spawned a number of philosophical discussions of its theme. Try "the matrix" in quotes plus philosophy.

4. Oct 22, 2004 #3
    A primer on looking at quantum physics from the cybernetic point of view. This is for liberal arts majors. Mostly concepts, no technical jargon, good illustrations
    http://www.bottomlayer.com/

5. Oct 22, 2004 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A philosopher named Nick Bostrom has written about this. I think he called it "the simulation argument".

6. Oct 22, 2004 #5

DM

The matrix theory....

Nothing more than a hollywood movie.

7. Oct 23, 2004 #6
    hi fredrik,

thanks a lot for your answer. that's something to continue with. hope i'll find the article now :)

martine

8. Oct 23, 2004 #7
    Just like to point out that there can be two types of simulation arguments. One where we ARE the simulation. And the other where we are IN the simulation, relatively speaking.

9. Oct 23, 2004 #8
  10. Oct 24, 2004 #9
    Matrix-like theories have been around before the The Matrix films, but they became popularized after the release of the films.

-Brad Barron

11. Oct 24, 2004 #10
    There was Dark City with Kiefer Sutherland, for example.

12. Oct 24, 2004 #11
    Many great films are based off great theories. Actually, most interesting themes for films are based off some form of theory or legend.

-Brad Barron

13. Oct 26, 2004 #12
    There is a movie with the exact theme that you are talking about. It's NOT The Matrix however; I think the movie was called 13th floor. I could be wrong :(

The movie was about our time (and a few other time periods) only being simulations, and some guy entered one of these simulations, killed a few people, hopped from sim to sim, caused some havoc, etc etc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?