1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix to the power t

1. Dec 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If A= [2 4 6 8] find AT

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Would I simply distribute the T across the matrix like this: [2T 4T 6T 7T 8T]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

The superscript 'T' here indicates the transpose of the matrix A. For a matrix A, if the element in the ith row and jth column is ##A_{ij}##, then for the transpose matrix ##A^T##, the element in the ith row and jth column is ##A_{ji}##.

Note that if A is an mxn matrix, ##A^T## is an nxm matrix.

4. Dec 9, 2012 #3
    Okay, thank you so much!

5. Dec 9, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ia A a true matrix? What you have written is a 4-dimensional row vector. Its transpose would be the 4-dimensional column vector with elements 2,4,5,8 in that order; that is:
    [tex] [2\;4\;6\;8]^T = \left[ \begin{array}{c}{2\\4\\6\\8}\end{array}\right].[/tex]

6. Dec 9, 2012 #5
    It is given to me by my teacher as a matrix, but I guess if it's a vector than it is a vector.

I did transpose it that way tho :D

Thanks!

7. Dec 10, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A vector is a special case of a matrix. However, perhaps you were supposed to interpret A as a 2x2 matrix, so A = [[2,4],[6,8]], where these are the two rows; that is:
    [tex] A = \pmatrix{2&4\\6&8}.[/tex]
    The transpose of A is
    [tex] A^T = \pmatrix{2 & 6 \\4 & 8}.[/tex]

On the other hand, A to the power t is considerably more complicated. It would take several pages to write out the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook