What is the axis and angle of rotation represented by this matrix?

In summary: I don't know how to find the angle either, but I have a hunch that if you can figure out the axis of rotation, then you might be able to find the angle by seeing what the matrix does to a vector that is perpendicular to the axis of rotation. For example, if you chose a vector that was perpendicular to the rotation axis, then the rotated vector would be perpendicular to the original vector (this is a property of rotations). That, and the fact that the matrix is orthogonal might give you some clue as to how to find the angle.In summary, the matrix given in the problem represents a rotation and the equation of its axis of rotation can be found by examining what happens to a general
Gregg

Homework Statement

The matrix

[itex] \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 0 &1 &0 \\ 0 &0 &1 \\ 1 &0 &0 \end{array} \right] [/itex]

represents a rotation.

(a) Find the equation of the axis of this rotation.
(b) What is the angle of the rotation?

Homework Equations

[itex]\left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 1 &0 &0 \\ 0 &\cos\theta &-\sin\theta \\ 0 &\sin\theta &\cos\theta \end{array} \right] [/itex]

[itex] \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} \cos\theta &0 &\sin\theta \\ 0 &1 &0 \\ -\sin\theta & 0 &\cos\theta \end{array} \right] [/itex]

[itex]\left[ \begin{array}{ccc} \cos\theta &-\sin\theta &0 \\ \sin\theta &\cos\theta &0 \\ 0 &0 &1 \end{array} \right] [/itex]

Rotations of \theta about x, y and z axes respectively.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this would just be a case of looking at the matrix and deciding whether it was a rotation about the x,y or z. I'm not sure how to determine the equation for the axis of rotation.

I discovered that:

[itex] \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 0 &1 &0 \\ 0 &0 &1 \\ 1 &0 &0 \end{array} \right] \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} x_1 &x_2 &x_3 \\ y_1 &y_2 &y_3 \\ z_1 &z_2 &z_3 \end{array} \right] = \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} y_1 &y_2 &y_3 \\ z_1 &z_2 &z_3 \\ x_1 &x_2 &x_3 \end{array} \right] [/itex]

But can't get close to the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gregg,

Gregg said:

Homework Statement

The matrix

[itex] \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 0 &1 &0 \\ 0 &0 &1 \\ 1 &0 &0 \end{array} \right] [/itex]

represents a rotation.

(a) Find the equation of the axis of this rotation.
(b) What is the angle of the rotation?

Homework Equations

[itex]\left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 1 &0 &0 \\ 0 &\cos\theta &-\sin\theta \\ 0 &\sin\theta &\cos\theta \end{array} \right] [/itex]

[itex] \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} \cos\theta &0 &\sin\theta \\ 0 &1 &0 \\ -\sin\theta & 0 &\cos\theta \end{array} \right] [/itex]

[itex]\left[ \begin{array}{ccc} \cos\theta &-\sin\theta &0 \\ \sin\theta &\cos\theta &0 \\ 0 &0 &1 \end{array} \right] [/itex]

Rotations of \theta about x, y and z axes respectively.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this would just be a case of looking at the matrix and deciding whether it was a rotation about the x,y or z. I'm not sure how to determine the equation for the axis of rotation.

I discovered that:

[itex] \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 0 &1 &0 \\ 0 &0 &1 \\ 1 &0 &0 \end{array} \right] \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} x_1 &x_2 &x_3 \\ y_1 &y_2 &y_3 \\ z_1 &z_2 &z_3 \end{array} \right] = \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} y_1 &y_2 &y_3 \\ z_1 &z_2 &z_3 \\ x_1 &x_2 &x_3 \end{array} \right] [/itex]

But can't get close to the answer.

I believe here you want to know how your rotation matrix affects a vector (not multiply it with another matrix).

So for a general vector

[tex]
\vec r=x\hat i+y\hat j+z\hat k
[/tex]

you might try examining what happens to that vector when you apply your rotation matrix to it. What do you get? (Are you familiar with writing vectors as a matrix?)

alphysicist said:
Hi Gregg,

I believe here you want to know how your rotation matrix affects a vector (not multiply it with another matrix).

So for a general vector

[tex]
[/tex]

you might try examining what happens to that vector when you apply your rotation matrix to it. What do you get? (Are you familiar with writing vectors as a matrix?)

I'm new to matrices and such and I don't really understand it well. [itex]
[/itex]

I'm not sure how to find the axis of rotation since the matrix that is in the problem does not look similar to any of the standard results I'm given as in my relevant equations. Would you write the vector like this:

[itex] \vec r=\begin{bmatrix} x &y &z \end{bmatrix} [/itex]

and then

[itex] \begin{bmatrix} x &y &z \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 0 &1 &0 \\ 0 &0 &1 \\ 1 &0 &0 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} z &x &y \end{bmatrix} [/itex] ?

then maybe...

[itex] \vec r = z \hat i + x \hat j + y \hat k [/itex]?

Last edited:
Gregg said:
I'm not sure how to find the axis of rotation since the matrix that is in the problem does not look similar to any of the standard results I'm given as in my relevant equations. Would you write the vector like this:

[itex] \vec r=\begin{bmatrix} x &y &z \end{bmatrix} [/itex]

No, vectors are usually written as columns when they are being operated on:

[tex]\vec r=\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[itex] \begin{bmatrix} x &y &z \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 0 &1 &0 \\ 0 &0 &1 \\ 1 &0 &0 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} z &x &y \end{bmatrix} [/itex] ?

No, the rotation matrix operates on the vector not vice versa...the operator is always written to the left of what it operates on:

[tex]\vec{r}'=\begin{bmatrix} 0 &1 &0 \\ 0 &0 &1 \\ 1 &0 &0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix} ? \\ ? \\ ? \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

(I used a prime to denote the rotated vector)

Now, suppose you chose a vector that was parallel to the axis of rotation; what could you say about r and r'?:wink:

gabbagabbahey said:
No, vectors are usually written as columns when they are being operated on:

[tex]\vec r=\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

No, the rotation matrix operates on the vector not vice versa...the operator is always written to the left of what it operates on:

[tex]\vec{r}'=\begin{bmatrix} 0 &1 &0 \\ 0 &0 &1 \\ 1 &0 &0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix} ? \\ ? \\ ? \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

(I used a prime to denote the rotated vector)

Now, suppose you chose a vector that was parallel to the axis of rotation; what could you say about r and r'?:wink:

[itex]\vec r=\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}[/itex]

[itex] \vec r' = \begin{bmatrix} 0 &1 &0 \\ 0 &0 &1 \\ 1 &0 &0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} y \\ z \\ x \end{bmatrix}[/itex]

So

[itex]\vec r=\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix}[/itex]

and

[itex] \vec r' = \begin{bmatrix} y \\ z \\ x \end{bmatrix}[/itex]

I'm not sure if I could immediately take x = y = z though? and as for the angle of rotation...

hi gregg

say we say

[itex] \textbf{M} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 &1 &0 \\ 0 &0 &1 \\ 1 &0 &0 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{bmatrix} [/itex]

then if a is a vector parallel to your rotation axis, then

[itex] \textbf{M} \textbf{a} = a [/tex] ie it is unchanged by the rotation

this is a good check to see if you have the correct axis of rotation

to work out the angle of rotation find a vector perpindicular to a, and apply the rotation, the angle will be given by teh angel between the initial and final vectors

(also i found it helpful to draw how each axis x,y,z is rotated)

hi gregg

say we say

[itex] \textbf{M} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 &1 &0 \\ 0 &0 &1 \\ 1 &0 &0 \end{bmatrix} [/itex]

then if a is a vector parallel to your rotation axis, then

[itex] \textbf{M} \textbf{a} = \textbf{a} [/tex] ie it is unchanged by the rotation

this is a good check to see if you have the correct axis of rotation

to work out the angle of rotation find a vector perpindicular to a, and apply the rotation, the angle will be given by the angle between the initial and final vectors

(also i found it helpful to draw how each axis x,y,z is rotated)

Last edited:

What is a matrix transformation?

A matrix transformation is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying a given matrix with another matrix to produce a new matrix. It is commonly used in linear algebra to transform geometric shapes and vectors in a coordinate system.

What are the types of matrix transformations?

There are three types of matrix transformations: translation, rotation, and scaling. Translation involves moving an object from one location to another, rotation involves rotating an object around a fixed point, and scaling involves resizing an object.

What is the difference between a transformation matrix and a standard matrix?

A transformation matrix is a special type of matrix used to represent a specific transformation, while a standard matrix is a generic matrix used for performing operations such as addition and multiplication. A transformation matrix is typically smaller in size and has values specific to the transformation it represents.

How do matrix transformations affect the shape of an object?

Matrix transformations can change the size, position, and orientation of an object. Depending on the transformation type and the values of the transformation matrix, the object can be stretched, rotated, or moved to a different location in the coordinate system.

What is the inverse of a matrix transformation?

The inverse of a matrix transformation is the transformation that undoes the original transformation. It is found by using the inverse of the transformation matrix. For example, the inverse of a translation matrix would be a translation in the opposite direction, while the inverse of a rotation matrix would be a rotation in the opposite direction.