Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix valued propagators

1. Apr 9, 2009 #1
    For scalar fields the propagator is just a number that represents the amplitude for a particle to go from one space time point to another.

For fermions, the propagator is matrix valued. What then is the amplitude for a fermion to go from one point to another? How are the elements of the matrix to be interpreted in terms of probability ampltudes?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

row-vector times matrix times column vector = number.

4. Apr 9, 2009 #3
    The fermion propagator involves the dot product of a 4 vector (momentum) and the gamma matrices. Im pretty sure the result is a matrix.

5. Apr 9, 2009 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, since the states are vectors... (4-spinors)

Have you never worked with relativistic quantum identities? What part of my first post did you not understand?

6. Apr 9, 2009 #5
    The signature :uhh:

7. Apr 9, 2009 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

shall I change it? :uhh:

But seriously, what is wrong with my explanation?

8. Apr 9, 2009 #7

blechman

Science Advisor

The fermion propogator IS a matrix, Bobhawke is correct. It is an outer product of spinors, not an inner product.

I think the answer he is looking for is [itex]S_{\alpha\beta}\equiv\langle T\psi_\alpha\bar{\psi}_\beta\rangle[/itex] is the amplitude for a fermion of polarization [itex]\alpha[/itex] to propogate to a fermion of polarization [itex]\beta[/itex].

Up to signs and whatnot!

Malawi_glenn: don't change your signature for anyone! :blushing:

9. Apr 9, 2009 #8
    I think we agree, there is not much more to this equation than what malawi_glenn was writing in "row-vector times matrix times column vector". It is also written in "the states are vectors... (4-spinors)".

10. Apr 9, 2009 #9

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, the propagator is matrix, but the amplitude is a number. And that was the question, if the propagator is a matrix, what will happen to the amplitude.

11. Apr 9, 2009 #10

blechman

Science Advisor

I think that is the question I answered. The matrix elements of the propagator are the amplitudes for the polarization states to propagate.

12. Apr 9, 2009 #11
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

13. Apr 11, 2009 #12

Hans de Vries

Science Advisor

Actually, the propagator is generally the propagation from a source.

So in QED the photon is propagated from the transition current (the interference
    pattern caused by an electron in two momentum states) and the electron is
    propagated from the interference term [itex]e\gamma^\mu\,A_\mu\psi[/itex]

It is indeed the amplitude per polarization state but there are some interesting
    details about the interplay between SU(2) and U(1). For instance in a magnetic
    field B the energy will be different per polarization state:

[tex]\binom{~~\exp(-i[E+\Delta E]t)~~}{~~\exp(-i[E-\Delta E]t)~~} ~~=~~ \binom{~~\exp(-i\Delta Et)~~}{~~\exp(+i\Delta Et)~~}~\exp(-iEt})[/tex]

At the RHS the energy is the same for both states but the spinor represents
    a precessing spinor around the direction of the magnetic field. Note that:

[tex] x\uparrow=\binom{1}{1}, ~~y\uparrow=\binom{1}{i},~~x\downarrow=\binom{1}{-1}, ~~y\downarrow=\binom{1}{-i}[/tex]

(up to an overal factor of [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex])

Regards, Hans.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook