1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix Vector Spaces

1. Apr 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Does the vector space of all square matrices have a basis of invertible matrices?

2. Relevant equations

No relevant equations.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the 2x2 case has an invertible basis, but I don't know how to generalize it for the vector space of all nxn matrices. Any hint would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Can you find a basis of the square matrices (without the requirement that every element of the basis should be invertible)??

4. Apr 30, 2012 #3
    Here's what I'm thinking.
    Take a basis of vector space of square matrices V, such that each matrix has a single 1 and all other elements are 0.
    If you take a basis {v1, ... vn} and replace vk with c1v1 + ... + cnvn, you still get a basis, as long as ck is not 0. That is easy to prove, if needed.
    Take some invertible matrix m1 = c1v1 + ... + cnvn in V, such that c1 is not 0 and replace v1 with it. I'm going to build an invertible matrix m2 = m1 + a2v2. Since det is a linear function, we can write it as kx + b, where x is some element of the matrix. The thing to prove is that if kx+b ≠ 0, then there exists 'a' ≠ 0 such that k(x+a) + b ≠ 0. The condition implies that k and b can't be both 0, so (due to linearity) there exists at most 1 point where k(x+a)+b = 0. We can always choose a different one, thus we can always build m2. Likewise mn = mn-1 + anvn, gives an invertible basis {m1, ..., mn}

5. Apr 30, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well first of all, the determinant is not a linear function.

But you have a nice idea. Just take a matrix with 0 everywhere but on one place a 1. This is obviously not invertible. But can you modify it so that it becomes invertible??? Try to do some stuff to the diagonal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook