Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Matrix version of chain rule

1. Dec 5, 2005 #1
    Hi, does anyone know of any websites which have some theory and perhaps some examples of the matrix version of the chain rule. Neither of the books I have covers this particular topic so I'd like to read up on it. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2005 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for.

If you have a function with several terms (ax^2 + bx + c, for example), you apply the chain rule to each term separately. If you have a vector, you apply the chain rule to each component separately. If you have a matrix, you apply the chain rule to each element separately.

4. Dec 5, 2005 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I would think OP is referring to the multivariable version of the chain rule.

5. Dec 6, 2005 #4
    I should've made it more clear that I was referring to the multivariable chain rule. I've managed to find something about it and I might post some questions if I find some I can't work out. Thanks anyway.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook