1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix with 2 unknowns

1. Sep 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the following problem, find conditions on a and b such that the system has no solution, one solution, and infinitely many solutions.

x + by = -1
    ax + 2y = 5

2. Relevant equations
    None that I know of.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically, first I put the entire equation into a matrix.
    [ 1 b | -1
    a 2 | 5 ]
    I reduce the bottom by subtracting R2 - aR1
    [ 1 b | -1
    0 2-ab| 5 +a ]
    I then reduce the bottom again by dividing R2/(2-ab)
    [ 1 b | -1
    0 1 | (5+a)/(2-ab)]
    I remove the b from the top by subtraction: R1 - bR2
    [1 0 | -1 - b((5+a)/(2-ab))
    0 1 | (5+a)/(2-ab) ]
    This leaves me with the values for x and y, and for the first question I am correct in saying if ab = 2, then there is no solution as it is undefined. However, my unique solution is somehow wrong and I would like some help in determining if I made an error or I somehow didn't reduce something.

The correct unique solution is: x = (-2 - 5b)/(2-ab) y = (a+5)/(2-ab)

Also, I have no idea what finding an infinite solution means, I would really like some help on clarifying that. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Temp0! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    That is the same as yours! :wink:
    Hint: if A and B are two solutions, what can you say about A - B ? :smile:

4. Sep 19, 2013 #3
    For example: if you are given graphs of f(x) and g(x) [neither contain discontinuities] and g(x) 's graph never "falls under" or crosses f(x) , no matter what the argument, g(x) has always higher values than f(x) and you are asked to provide solutions for g(x) > f(x) then you can say that there are infinitely many solutions. But you are dealing with an equal sign so that must mean the 2 graphs are...?

5. Sep 20, 2013 #4
    Hmm, thanks for the help on the infinite thing, I finally get that ^^. However, i've tried reducing and expanding my answer, but it never becomes the same as the answer in the book. Are there any hints you can give me? =D

edit: nvm, I just looked at it again and realized how to get to the answer, thanks for your help =p.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted