1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix's right inverse

1. Aug 24, 2006 #1

Bob

An m*n matrix A is said to have a right inverse if there exists an n*m matrix C such that AC=Im. A is said to have a left inverse if there exists an n*m matrix D such that DA=In.

(a) If A has a right inverse, show that the column vectors of A span Rm.
    (b) Is it possible for an m*n matrix to have a right inverse if n<m? n>=m? Explain.

? How to do that? I dont' know how to start? what if A doesn't span Rm?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2006 #2
    Note that the jth column of AC is equal to [tex]Ac_j[/tex] where [tex]c_j[/itex] is the jth column of C.

Think of the Linear transformation [tex]L_A:\mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^m[/tex] defined as left multiplication by A. Another way to phrase the above statement is that the jth column of AC is equal to [tex]L_A(c_j)[/tex]

Note that the columns of AC are linearly independent.

What does this tell you about rank(A)?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  4. Aug 25, 2006 #3

Bob

It's min{m,n}

thanks

5. Aug 25, 2006 #4
    It is unclear to me based on your result whether you have actually arrived at a correct solution. To say that rank(A) = min{m,n}, while technically not wrong, leads me to suspect that you don't fully understand the problem, but before I make any accusations perhaps you could show me your work stating clearly your line of reasoning.

6. Aug 25, 2006 #5

Bob

AC=Im

rank(A)=m

column vectors of A span Rm

if n>m, column vectors are linear dependent.
    if n<m, AC does not equal Im, the reduced row echelon form of AC has at least one all zero row.

:cool:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  7. Aug 26, 2006 #6
    What you have written is correct, but you left out many of the details of the proof. In you're actual writeup you should fill in the gaps by either proving these statements or citing pre-existing theorems that allow you to make these jumps.

For example what are the justifications for going from AC = Im to rank(A) = m, and then how does this lead you to conclude that the column vectors of A span Rm?

Why if n<m does A not have a right inverse? What you wrote is true but is not an explanation.

aside:
    If A has a right inverse, saying rank(A) = min{m,n} is the same as saying rank(A) = m. Do you see why?

regards,
    nocturnal

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  8. Aug 27, 2006 #7

Bob

:bugeye:
    If A has a right inverse

[tex]AC=(e_1 ,e_2 ,...,e_m)[/tex]is consistent

[tex]Ac_1 = e_1[/tex]
    [tex]Ac_2 = e_2[/tex]
    [tex]Ac_m = e_m [/tex]

an arbitrary vector in [tex]R_m[/tex] can be written as

[tex]\alpha _1 e_1 + \alpha _2 e_2 + ... + \alpha _m e_m[/tex]

(Therom:A liner system Ax=b is consistent if and only if b is in the column space of A)

since [tex]e_1,e_2,...,e_m[/tex] are in the column space of A,
    [tex]\alpha _1 e_1 + \alpha _2 e_2 + ... + \alpha _m e_m[/tex] is in the column space of A.

the column vectors of A span [tex]R_m[/tex]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?