Matt grime posting in GD and other highly unlikely events

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Events
In summary: GD) = P(Matt posts in GD) * P(I finish MG's group theory notes) = 1/2103. So it seems like the only way to increase your chances of Matt posting in GD is to start reading his Group Theory Notes.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
The possibility of matt grime posting in Franzbear came up in, well, Franzbear. I thought it was highly unlikely but decided to investigate the chances of him posting in any thread in GD.
A search for posts by him in GD returned 3 threads. I confirmed that one of them was moved from General Math, so it doesn't count. I suspect another one may also have been moved from elsewhere. If anyone has evidence concerning this, please speak up. The other thread was actually in Politics and World Affairs, so I'm being generous by counting it.
He joined PF on 01-13-04, and I think the search went back further than this (confirmation, anyone?). By other means, I have been able to confirm no other posts by him in GD or P&WA as far back as 02-05-04.
As of 12:37 p.m. EST on 07-19-05, he has 4206 posts. He posted once in each of the 2 qualifying threads, on 03-07-04 and 12-09-04.

Now, my question: Will putting his name in the title increase the chances of him posting again in GD? :biggrin: :tongue2:

What other events are just as likely as grime posting in GD?

BTW, I have much respect for Matt and hope this experiment doesn't bother him. It's done in good fun. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Put "Number Theory" or other key phrases in the thread title and it might provoke the desired response. :biggrin:

If the thread title contains "Tensor" or "Differential Geometry", then I think mathwonk and others might respond. :biggrin:

Or try the "Impact of Number Theory on Differential Geometry".

Astronuc said:
Put "Number Theory" or other key phrases in the thread title and it might provoke the desired response. :biggrin:

If the thread title contains "Tensor" or "Differential Geometry", then I think mathwonk and others might respond. :biggrin:

Or try the "Impact of Number Theory on Differential Geometry".
:biggrin: Yeah, I considered that. Or something like "Someone found an elementary proof of FLT?", which he might feel obliged to respond to if posted in GD. If he doesn't respond for a while, I may change tactics.

honestrosewater said:
I suspect another one may also have been moved from elsewhere. If anyone has evidence concerning this, please speak up.
Matt actually responded in that thread, after it made its way into GD. It may have originated in Math though, and got moved to GD with a pointer in Math. And perhaps, seeing that it was a thread started by eljose, Matt may have made the unpardonable excepting of following the link into the quagmire that is GDland. Either way, I'm certain that Matt actually ventured into GD to post in that thread.

I have no idea who matt grime is...

yomamma said:
I have no idea who matt grime is...
You need to get out more son! :biggrin: Matt is the Math guru in 2004.

Gokul43201 said:
Matt actually responded in that thread, after it made its way into GD. It may have originated in Math though, and got moved to GD with a pointer in Math. And perhaps, seeing that it was a thread started by eljose, Matt may have made the unpardonable excepting of following the link into the quagmire that is GDland. Either way, I'm certain that Matt actually ventured into GD to post in that thread.
Yeah, especially if tribdog posted in it well before. :biggrin:

Last edited:
But then, the other day, I say this monkey on a typewriter...and it had just typed out all the elements of the periodic table, in the right order (with just one mistake - for element 104, it had Ku instead of Ru).

Gokul43201 said:
Okay, thanks. It still seems like a luring into GD by an unGD-like post, not an outright posting in GD, but I'll count it. So that's 1/2103 or ~.05%.

What are some other equally likely events? I'm really curious about this.

well probability of matt posting in GD are equal to probability of me posting useful things in differential equations *shakes head* :frown:

By a quick search it seems the chance of a woman getting pregnant while using any form of birth control (other than abstinence) is better than the chance of Matt posting in GD.

Hmm.. what if I'll say that I started reading his Group Theory Notes and I'm also interested in Differential Geometry - would he post here? Let's find out

Ah, P(I finish MG's group theory notes sometime this year) < P(MG posts in GD).

(Maybe flattery will work?) The other notes I could handle were excellent. I especially love the way he cuts through the extra bs and gets right to the heart of the matter.

Last edited:
What do you mean by the 'chance of Matt posting in GD?' Do you mean the probability of any one of his posts being a post in GD? The way you've stated it, I can easily say the probability of him posting in GD is 1, as he had already done it.

It seems to me, and I stress the 'seems,' that you are trying to predict the future probability of him posting in GD. If so, you'll need to specify a time frame. Do you want to know the probability that he will post in GD today? The probability that he will ever post in GD for the rest of his membership period? They aren't the same.

loseyourname said:
What do you mean by the 'chance of Matt posting in GD?' Do you mean the probability of any one of his posts being a post in GD? The way you've stated it, I can easily say the probability of him posting in GD is 1, as he had already done it.

It seems to me, and I stress the 'seems,' that you are trying to predict the future probability of him posting in GD. If so, you'll need to specify a time frame. Do you want to know the probability that he will post in GD today? The probability that he will ever post in GD for the rest of his membership period? They aren't the same.
See, that's the difference I find between GD and the 'real' forums: Thinking too much is generally discouraged here. :tongue2: It's just a joke. But sure, figure whatever floats your boat. :smile:

I summoned up a few ghosts, fed them some ZPE, added a pinch of intrinsic redshift, listened the the below average children of Lake Wobegone, molded it into a breast-sized penis, threaded it through the tatters of Mark M's book (trib's dog got to it, so I never did that homework), {insert your favourite blueberry poundcake recipe extracts here}, and concluded that the probability is ...
x

Nereid said:
I summoned up a few ghosts, fed them some ZPE, added a pinch of intrinsic redshift, listened the the below average children of Lake Wobegone, molded it into a breast-sized penis, threaded it through the tatters of Mark M's book (trib's dog got to it, so I never did that homework), {insert your favourite blueberry poundcake recipe extracts here}, and concluded that the probability is ...
x
Jolly good work there. (Just bumping. :smile: The lure won't work if it's buried.)

How about putting "Even matt couldn't figure this out" in it?

Smurf said:
How about putting "Even matt couldn't figure this out" in it?

That might work. I think I'll try that.

I've got one that would make his skin crawl.

"Congratulations Johnny5, the Newest PF Super Mentor!"

Johnny5 was a particularly aggravating crackpot with whom Matt dealt valiantly at Science Forums Network. If he saw that title, I think he would at the very least take a peek at the thread.

*shudders in memory of Johnny5*

for those of you who are unfamiliar with him, he is not only an "I'm going to disprove Relativity" person, but he was also an "I'm going to disprove complex numbers" person.
http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/search.php?searchid=26402
http://sciforums.com/search.php?searchid=357583

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone else claim that he's matt grime, he may start posting here.we just need a fake ID!

...confused...a johnny5 id? we would have to pay to make it work...supermentor thing, right?

I should call you Mr Confused or Mr Jones?()I bet you'll say "confused" after reading my post!)

...confused...

So I was right!

...or maybe not...

If not, so you know what I meant!

:confused: ¤¿¤ what? ¤¿¤ :confused:

yourdadonapogostick said:
...confused...a johnny5 id? we would have to pay to make it work...supermentor thing, right?
Unless we can get greg to by sympathetic to our cause. All we need is a banner, no actual abilities.

:confused: ¤¿¤ what? ¤¿¤ :confused:
just nod and smile :biggrin:

Johnny5 said:
Unless we can get greg to by sympathetic to our cause. All we need is a banner, no actual abilities.
Oh you're talking to yourself! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lisa! said:
Oh you're talking to yourself! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You know what's funny, about a week ago your posts in GD still made sense. You're nonsense has become a natural part of the environment now, I'm almost used to it.

what is Johnny's password?

if johnny had a banner, you could send a PM to matt grime saying "complex numbers lead to a contradiction" that might start something.

what is Johnny's password?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You actually expect me to tell you? No newbies will ever know my password. And if I suspect they do, I'll change it immediately.