Matter Alignment: Magnatism Effects on Salt Water Flow

In summary: It's a very weak diamagnetic material, meaning it's slightly repelled by magnetic fields, but not enough to have a noticeable effect. Antiferromagnetism is a property of certain solids, not liquids. So, in summary, water is not affected by magnetic fields in a way that would align or disperse its molecules, and there is no known way to manipulate the molecules in a liquid state to make it easier to move through.
Tinman
Could a field of a certain.type of magnatism effect a giving area of salt water as to.either align or dispurse the water to more freely flow among them or slide between them .like a horizon of water molecules

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're asking.

Drakkith said:
I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're asking.
ok let's say moving through water is like pushing throught a deck of cards and that's why its so slown .. resistance is ther a way or possible way to turn the deck as to slide through the deck instead of aposing it

Oh, your wondering if you can use a magnetic field to reduce the viscosity of water?

Drakkith said:
Oh, your wondering if you can use a magnetic field to reduce the viscosity of water?
essentaly yes and no more to create a pathway through the particles rather than lessen the density of a givin area perhaps even align them to have them all point one direction with a charged surfaced of opposition to be slipped through persay

Perhaps you should investigate laminar flow "skin" or the ejection of air bubbles at the prow of your craft. I'm not sure that either would deal with what you have in mind, but it might be a starting point.

No I'm.sorry the.flow.skin.would.probably.be standard as well.as the bubble reduction. I'm referring. To rendering.such a divice as to ..how do you say pave the way ahead of.you . So that the water you are entering is predisposed to let.you.through it more easily not.the.exterior of the craft being modified to receive /create less friction/resistance kind of. The way supersonic jets have there lillte sound bubble popper :D an under water door opener

Is there some malfunction with your " . " key? It seems to pop up randomly. o_O
Anyhow, now that you've explained it better... the only thing that I can think of that might possibly do what you want is an extremely high-intensity ultrasonic beam of some sort. I doubt that even that would be effective, though.
And a jet's "sound bubble popper" is sheer muscle in the form of tremendous engines.

Danger said:
Is there some malfunction with your " . " key? It seems to pop up randomly. o_O
Anyhow, now that you've explained it better... the only thing that I can think of that might possibly do what you want is an extremely high-intensity ultrasonic beam of some sort. I doubt that even that would be effective, though.
And a jet's "sound bubble popper" is sheer muscle in the form of tremendous engines.
... the sonic boom and what design approaches might reduce it. ... most designs engineers are testing are needle-nosed and < yes key is buggy ty. And no wouldn't high intensity beam just shove particles out of the way it the " space key its playing with the. ..

Tinman said:
wouldn't high intensity beam just shove particles out of the way
That's exactly what has to be done in order to accomplish what you want.

reducing waters vascosity would reduce resistance ? and would the rite magnetic field focused disrupt the atoms infront of it? enuf to even have an effect. like when i cliff jumped 125 feet i threw rocks in first to lessen resistance?

Danger said:
That's exactly what has to be done in order to accomplish what you want.
please exuse me building a house is as far as my science goes. i jusr had a few question about faster than sound speed under water wanted to understand the concept on a smaller level

There's two main concerns here that I know of. Breaking the attraction between the molecules (and on the object moving through the water) and then moving them out of the way. The latter can be minimized by shape, just like an aerodynamic car encounters less wind resistance than a semi-truck shaped like a brick. The former is... more difficult. Much more difficult.

Tinman said:
essentaly yes and no more to create a pathway through the particles rather than lessen the density of a givin area perhaps even align them to have them all point one direction with a charged surfaced of opposition to be slipped through persay

I'm not sure this is possible. Water molecules aren't like playing cards. They aren't very big and in their liquid state they just move about randomly. It's more like trying to move through a million tiny, lopsided spheres. There's not really much you can do to align them all and I don't think you'd see any benefit even if you could. Aligning them would just place the + end of the molecules near the - end of another one, which strengthens their attraction.

Magnetic fields aren't the answer anyways. Water is an extremely weak diamagnetic material that barely responds to even strong magnetic fields.

sorry for that yes now that are water iss all + to minus can't we do a angular skined vessled add to that micro magnets to help.further flow throw the water sort of channel it away after slightly pulling at the allinged - 's would increase overall -'s to be pulled

No, the + and - are electrical charges, not magnet poles. Magnets wouldn't do anything.

yes +and -electical charges can't atoms aranged and charged to have rotating magetic fields each opposite to the next

cant some sort of information be tranferd.throufh.the.alligned electrical charges ? impact ?something??

Tinman said:
yes +and -electical charges can't atoms aranged and charged to have rotating magetic fields each opposite to the next

Not in liquid water. The motions of the molecules are simply too chaotic.

Tinman said:
cant some sort of information be tranferd.throufh.the.alligned electrical charges ? impact ?something??

There's no way to align them.

antiferromagnitism is what i refer to i think and the further manipulation of givin liquid

even if you could slow them down

Then you'd freeze them and you wouldn't have liquid water anymore, but ice.

Drakkith said:
Then you'd freeze them and you wouldn't have liquid water anymore, but ice.
and water isn't antiferromagnetic liquid?

No, it's diamagnetic as I said earlier. I'm not sure you can have an antiferromagnetic liquid since, by definition, antiferromagnetism involves molecules in an ordered arrangement which only occur in solids.

I great fully thank you for the discussion and you have gave more patients than probably was required have a wonderfully time Drakkith.

I don't know where you got your information from. That isn't the description from wiki's page on antiferromagnetism.

The magnetic moments in atom.and.molecules.ussaualy.related
To.electrons.spin and.in opposite pattern

Of course. What's your point?

Yeah. That was my.point I.guess on some minimal scale can salt water be effected with antiferromagnatism if so could it be effected further .

Sorry, dude, but if you insist upon trying to take a magnetic approach to it, you're doomed to failure. It's like trying to make a cow run faster by painting her horns green.

Likes F.V
Tinman said:
Yeah. That was my.point I.guess on some minimal scale can salt water be effected with antiferromagnatism if so could it be effected further .

No. Antiferromagnetism doesn't apply to water, it only applies to solid materials where molecules/magnetic grains can align in certain ways. Water is diamagnetic, not antiferromagnetic.

Fine a metal cow with a magnet infont of ia hahah.
Danger said:
Sorry, dude, but if you insist upon trying to take a magnetic approach to it, you're doomed to failure. It's like trying to make a cow run faster by painting her horns green.

Tinman said:
Fine a metal cow with a magnet infont of ia hahah.
I think that you missed the point of my post. :rolleyes:

Drakkith said:
No. Antiferromagnetism doesn't apply to water, it only applies to solid materials where molecules/magnetic grains can align in certain ways. Water is diamagnetic, not antiferromagnetic.
so its just push them out of the way and tahts it then.hmm seems like there be more tjere than that

Tinman said:
so its just push them out of the way and tahts it then.hmm seems like there be more tjere than that

There are ways to reduce the friction on the object moving through the water, but other than that you pretty much out of luck.

<h2>What is matter alignment?</h2><p>Matter alignment refers to the arrangement of particles within a substance. This arrangement can affect the physical properties and behavior of the substance.</p><h2>How does magnetism affect salt water flow?</h2><p>Magnetism can cause the alignment of charged particles within salt water, creating a magnetic field. This magnetic field can then interact with the Earth's magnetic field, causing changes in the flow of salt water.</p><h2>What are some examples of how matter alignment and magnetism can affect salt water flow?</h2><p>One example is the formation of eddies or swirls in salt water due to the interaction of magnetic fields. Another example is the separation of salt and fresh water in estuaries, where the alignment of particles can affect the movement of water.</p><h2>Can matter alignment and magnetism be used to control salt water flow?</h2><p>Yes, scientists are currently researching ways to use magnetic fields to control the flow of salt water for various applications, such as desalination and energy production.</p><h2>What are the potential implications of matter alignment and magnetism on salt water ecosystems?</h2><p>The effects of matter alignment and magnetism on salt water flow can impact the distribution of nutrients, organisms, and pollutants in salt water ecosystems. This can have both positive and negative consequences on the health and balance of these ecosystems.</p>

What is matter alignment?

Matter alignment refers to the arrangement of particles within a substance. This arrangement can affect the physical properties and behavior of the substance.

How does magnetism affect salt water flow?

Magnetism can cause the alignment of charged particles within salt water, creating a magnetic field. This magnetic field can then interact with the Earth's magnetic field, causing changes in the flow of salt water.

What are some examples of how matter alignment and magnetism can affect salt water flow?

One example is the formation of eddies or swirls in salt water due to the interaction of magnetic fields. Another example is the separation of salt and fresh water in estuaries, where the alignment of particles can affect the movement of water.

Can matter alignment and magnetism be used to control salt water flow?

Yes, scientists are currently researching ways to use magnetic fields to control the flow of salt water for various applications, such as desalination and energy production.

What are the potential implications of matter alignment and magnetism on salt water ecosystems?

The effects of matter alignment and magnetism on salt water flow can impact the distribution of nutrients, organisms, and pollutants in salt water ecosystems. This can have both positive and negative consequences on the health and balance of these ecosystems.