Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matter/Antimatter annhialation

1. Jan 4, 2010 #1
    i have a question, if i took matter and antimatter of differing quantities, so for example, i took a carbon atom made up of matter and a boron atom made of antimatter, when they annhialate, would i be left with a hydrogen atom made of matter plus energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2010 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

With that much energy released you probably would not wind with an atom at all, but yes, in the end there would be some matter left over and a lot of energy, assuming complete annihilation of the antimatter.

4. Jan 5, 2010 #3
    The only stable hadron (in isolation) is a proton. Hadron number is conserved (as far as we know). With carbon-12 and anti-boron-11, assuming complete annihilation, you will have one proton and one electron left, after the dust settles. With carbon-12 and anti-boron-10, two protons and two electrons, with a very small probability of one deuteron.
    Bob S

5. Jan 5, 2010 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

No it's not. [itex]\rho \rightarrow \pi \pi[/itex]. One goes in, two go out.

6. Jan 5, 2010 #5
    just out of interest if matter can be converted to energy can energy be converted to matter. I was asked this and i think the answer is yes but i cant think of a situation where it would happen

7. Jan 5, 2010 #6
    will the remaining matter absorb the energy?

8. Jan 5, 2010 #7
    Sorry- I meant baryon number is conserved. The only stable hadron (in isolation) is a proton.
    bob s

9. Jan 5, 2010 #8
    Fermilab is creating protons and antiprotons at the rate of ~3 x 1011 from energy per hour. See left panel in
    http://www-bd.fnal.gov/notifyservlet/www?project=outside
    Right now, Fermilab is creating about 28 milliamps (circulating current) of antiprotons per hour.
    Bob S

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook