1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matter/Antimatter annhialation

1. Jan 4, 2010 #1
    i have a question, if i took matter and antimatter of differing quantities, so for example, i took a carbon atom made up of matter and a boron atom made of antimatter, when they annhialate, would i be left with a hydrogen atom made of matter plus energy?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

With that much energy released you probably would not wind with an atom at all, but yes, in the end there would be some matter left over and a lot of energy, assuming complete annihilation of the antimatter.
  4. Jan 5, 2010 #3
    The only stable hadron (in isolation) is a proton. Hadron number is conserved (as far as we know). With carbon-12 and anti-boron-11, assuming complete annihilation, you will have one proton and one electron left, after the dust settles. With carbon-12 and anti-boron-10, two protons and two electrons, with a very small probability of one deuteron.
    Bob S
  5. Jan 5, 2010 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

No it's not. [itex]\rho \rightarrow \pi \pi[/itex]. One goes in, two go out.
  6. Jan 5, 2010 #5
    just out of interest if matter can be converted to energy can energy be converted to matter. I was asked this and i think the answer is yes but i cant think of a situation where it would happen
  7. Jan 5, 2010 #6
    will the remaining matter absorb the energy?
  8. Jan 5, 2010 #7
    Sorry- I meant baryon number is conserved. The only stable hadron (in isolation) is a proton.
    bob s
  9. Jan 5, 2010 #8
    Fermilab is creating protons and antiprotons at the rate of ~3 x 1011 from energy per hour. See left panel in
    Right now, Fermilab is creating about 28 milliamps (circulating current) of antiprotons per hour.
    Bob S
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook