Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matter, energy (equal) AND Trues

1. Jan 12, 2005 #1
    Grettings! I don't know if I've the required knowleage to post here, but...

I read a book there they told about the existens of trues as something in the same class as matter (or energy). A smart way to compensate for the limit of the speed of the light. Personally, I don't beleive in objective trues, or not yet at least. I think I need some future discusion about this. Any good book, or something?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2005 #2

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There appear to be some language difficulties here. What do you mean by 'trues'? Do you mean truths?

4. Jan 12, 2005 #3
    Yes, I'm sorry.

5. Jan 12, 2005 #4

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's the name of the book?

I'm not sure about what exactly the claims here are. What does it mean for matter and energy to be in the same class as truths? And how does it apply to the speed of light as a fundamental speed limit?

6. Feb 3, 2005 #5
    Truths do exist, in the same sense that matter and energy do. They are both products of the human consciousness. Truths, like most things, lose their meaning if no one is around to interperet them; but they never go away, they remain true for future interpreters. Everything that exists, exists.

7. Feb 3, 2005 #6

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I get the feeling the book he read was saying that truths are all relative to a particular observational perspective, much like mass and energy have come to be viewed in physics. Probably just an analogy to help explain what the author feels the true (if such a thing is possible in his framework) nature of truth to be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?