Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Matter +lambda universe

1. Oct 15, 2017 #1
    for the matter+lambda universe why is Ω[Λ,o]=1-Ω[m,0]?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2017 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Where are you getting this equation from? Do you have a reference?

4. Oct 15, 2017 #3

kimbyd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because the sum of the ##\Omega## terms is defined to be equal to one, and a matter+lambda universe has only matter and a cosmological constant term.

5. Oct 16, 2017 #4
    will you please explain why is the net Ω is equal to 1,and net Ω consists of which components

6. Oct 16, 2017 #5
    will you please explain the reason for being total omega to be 1

7. Oct 16, 2017 #6

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

@Das apashanka , you marked this thread as "A", indicating a graduate level knowledge of the subject matter. The questions you are asking indicate that you don't have that background; accordingly, I have changed the thread level to "I".

8. Oct 16, 2017 #7

kimbyd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's no deep meaning. The parameter is just defined that way.

9. Oct 16, 2017 #8

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It isn't, necessarily.

This only is true for spatially flat matter/Lambda universes, i.e., it is not true for general matter/Lambda universes.

10. Oct 16, 2017 #9

kimbyd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whichever ##\Omega## values you include in your model, their sum is always identically equal to one. That's how they're defined: as density fractions. If you have matter, cosmological constant, and curvature, then it's:

$$\Omega_m + \Omega_\Lambda + \Omega_k = 1$$

11. Oct 16, 2017 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course. As you say, this is true **by definition**. But this is not what the original poster asked about. A question equivalent to the OP's question is "Why is ##\Omega_k = 0##?"

One possible answer is that the OP is looking at the (very close to) spatially flat observed universe at a time when ##\Omega_r## is negligible. One nice thing about this universe is that there is an explicit expression for the scale factor.

If, however, this an exercise in theoretical cosmology, there is no reason for

$$\Omega_m + \Omega_\Lambda = 1$$

in a matter/Lambda universe, which is what the OP asked about. So, what Peter asked is necessary,

12. Oct 16, 2017 #11

kimbyd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's more or less the point I was getting at. There's no deep reason here. It's just the way the terms are defined.

But yes, there might be a more important question that is being missed here, so we might be able to offer better guidance if the broader context of the question were presented.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted