What is the derivation of de Broglie wavelength and its relationship to energy?

In summary: There's no context given for why the two energies are equated, and no explanation of what matter waves are.I believe that matter waves are energy particles that can transport energy. They are also probabilistic in nature, meaning that not all of a system is wave-like, and not all of it is particle-like.
arunbg
At school, I am taught that the "derivation" of de Brogle wavelength of a matter wave is as follows.

[tex]E=mc^2, E= h\nu[/tex]

So
[tex]mc^2=h\nu[/tex]

Then setting c=v by analogy derive the exp. for de Broglie wavelength.

Here's the problem, I can't understand in what context the two energies are equated.

I only know that the first eqn is mass energy equ. and the second eqn. is energy of a discrete photon.So obviously m must be the mass of photon
right? Now is this mass the rest mass of photon ? I don't even know much about SR other than the basic postulates.

Also what is the exact nature of matter waves?
Do they transport energy or are they probability functions?
Is it possible to approximate how much of a system is wave like and and how much of it is particle like ?

I don't think it is really right to deal with these topics before SR as they do in my syllabus. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for the replies.Any links will also be appreciated.

Arun

Physics news on Phys.org
you're right to question this 'derivation'... because its stupid!
E doesn't equal mc^2 for a photon, so imo you can't really equate the first two formulae you've quoted

I agree. It is a very dubious "derivation".

Take a look here, for example.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/debrog.html

You will notice that the de Broglie wavelength is associated with the MOMENTUM of the particle, and not with the rest mass.

Zz.

To further the "derivation" what is done is that c->v

[tex]mv^2=h\frac{v}{\lambda}[/tex]

so [tex]\lambda=\frac{h}{mv}=\frac{h}{p}[/tex]

And it is not specified what mass is m .
Students in my school (my final exams got over today, phew!) simply mug up the formula and apply to problems.

What are matter waves?

Matter waves, also known as de Broglie waves, are a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wave-like behavior of particles, such as electrons. They were proposed by physicist Louis de Broglie in 1924 and are an integral part of understanding the dual nature of matter.

How are matter waves different from regular waves?

Regular waves, such as sound or light waves, are physical disturbances that propagate through a medium. Matter waves, on the other hand, are associated with the motion of particles and do not require a medium to travel through. They are described by a mathematical function called the wavefunction, which gives the probability of finding a particle at a given location.

What is the relationship between matter waves and energy?

According to the de Broglie wavelength equation, the wavelength of a matter wave is inversely proportional to the particle's momentum. This means that particles with higher energy have shorter wavelengths, while particles with lower energy have longer wavelengths. In other words, the energy of a particle is directly related to the frequency or "speed" of its matter wave.

How are matter waves used in real-world applications?

Matter waves have a wide range of applications in modern technology, including electron microscopy, where the wavelength of electrons is used to image tiny structures. They are also used in particle accelerators, where the wavelength of accelerated particles is manipulated to achieve desired energy levels. Matter waves are also being studied for potential use in quantum computing and cryptography.

Can matter waves be observed directly?

No, matter waves cannot be observed directly as they are a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of particles. However, their effects can be observed through various experiments and technologies, such as the double-slit experiment, which demonstrates the wave-like behavior of particles. The concept of matter waves has been supported by numerous experiments and is an essential part of our understanding of quantum mechanics.