Solving for Wavelength: What Did I Do Wrong?

• Thread starter Isaac0427
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary, the conversation discusses De Broglie's postulate and the equations for wavelength and frequency. The speaker obtained that massless particles propagate at the speed of light, but realizes this is only true for massless particles. They question if they need to factor in mc^2.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
De Broglie's postulate states that λ=h/p and ƒ=E/h. If you plug in E=pc, then you get λ=c/ƒ. Using the equation for wavelength λ=v/ƒ, I found that v=c, but this can't be true, because the matter waves would be traveling a c. What did I do wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
E=pc holds only for massless particles. You have obtained that massless particles propagate at the speed of light. But that is obvious.

dextercioby said:
E=pc holds only for massless particles. You have obtained that massless particles propagate at the speed of light. But that is obvious.
So do I need to factor in mc^2 too?

1. Why am I getting a negative value for wavelength?

If you are getting a negative value for wavelength, it is likely that you made a mistake in your calculations. Double check your formula and make sure you are using the correct units for all variables.

2. What is the correct formula for solving for wavelength?

The formula for solving for wavelength is: wavelength = speed of light / frequency. Make sure you are using the correct values for speed of light and frequency, and that they are in the correct units.

3. I am getting a different wavelength value than my classmates, why?

There could be a few reasons for this. Double check that you are using the same values for speed of light and frequency, and that you are using the correct units. It is also possible that you made a mistake in your calculations, so be sure to check your work.

4. Can I use any units for speed of light and frequency in the wavelength formula?

No, it is important to use the correct units for speed of light and frequency in the wavelength formula. The speed of light should be in meters per second and frequency should be in hertz (Hz).

5. How does wavelength relate to the electromagnetic spectrum?

Wavelength is a measure of the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave. In the electromagnetic spectrum, shorter wavelengths correspond to higher energy radiation such as gamma rays and X-rays, while longer wavelengths correspond to lower energy radiation such as radio waves and microwaves.