Maurer-Cartan Form: Is it a One Form?

• I
  • Thread starter Silviu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, the conversation is about the definition of a canonical (Maurer-Cartan) one form on a Lie group G, as defined by Nakahara in chapter 5.6.4 of Geometry Topology and Physics. The conversation discusses a theorem involving this one form and raises a question about its nature, to which the answer is that it is a ##\mathfrak g##-valued one form. The conversation continues to discuss the definition of a one-form and its relation to the ##(1,1)## tensor in question, ultimately concluding that the one-form in question is not a one-form in the traditional sense, but rather a ##\mathfrak g##-valued one-form.
Silviu
Hello! I am reading Geometry Topology and Physics by Nakahara and in Chapter 5.6.4 he defines the canonical (Maurer-Cartan) one form on a Lie group G as: ##\theta : T_gG \to T_eG##. Then he states a theorem in which ##\theta = V_\mu \otimes \theta^\mu##. Both by the tensor product and by the definition from a vector space to another vector space, ##\theta## seems to be a ##(1,1)## tensor, not a one form, as it is stated in the book. Am I missing something? Is it a one form or not? Did I get wrong the definition of one form? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a ##\mathfrak g## valued one form.

Every ##(1,1)## tensor, say ##\varphi \otimes v \in U^* \otimes V## is equivalent to the linear map ##u \longmapsto \varphi(u)\cdot v##. Here we have ##v \in T_gG## and ##\varphi \in T_e^*G##.

martinbn said:
It is a ##\mathfrak g## valued one form.
Isn't a one-form by definition a function from vectors to real numbers? And ##\mathfrak{g}## is isomorphic to ##T_gG## so it should behave the same whether it acts on vector fields or on simple vectors (tangents at e). But regardless of how you take it, I still don't understand why there is a basis vector (##V_\mu##), if it acts only on vectors and not on one-forms.

fresh_42 said:
Every ##(1,1)## tensor, say ##\varphi \otimes v \in U^* \otimes V## is equivalent to the linear map ##u \longmapsto \varphi(u)\cdot v##. Here we have ##v \in T_gG## and ##\varphi \in T_e^*G##.
I am not sure I understand. Do you mean that a ##(1,1)## tensor can be transformed into a one-form by passing to it a one-form, which cancels the vector basis? But in our case, what would be that one-form? Like to me ##\theta## is clearly a ##(1,1)## tensor, and by the definition in the book the exactly same ##\theta##, without any modification is called a one-form. I am not sure I understand it...

1. What is a Maurer-Cartan form?

A Maurer-Cartan form is a differential form used in differential geometry and Lie theory. It is used to define a connection on a principal bundle.

2. Is a Maurer-Cartan form a one form?

Yes, a Maurer-Cartan form is a one form, meaning it has a single input and produces a single output.

3. What is the purpose of a Maurer-Cartan form?

The purpose of a Maurer-Cartan form is to encode the information about the curvature of a connection on a principal bundle.

4. How is a Maurer-Cartan form related to Lie algebras?

A Maurer-Cartan form can be used to define a connection on a principal bundle associated with a Lie algebra. It is also used to define the structure equations of a Lie algebra.

5. Are there any applications of Maurer-Cartan forms?

Yes, Maurer-Cartan forms have various applications in theoretical physics, particularly in gauge theories and string theory. They are also used in the study of Lie groups and Lie algebras.