Max acceleration of car up ramp

In summary, the maximum possible acceleration of a car driving up a slope at an angle of 16 degrees to the horizontal, with static and kinetic friction coefficients of .90 and .80 respectively, assuming a sufficiently powerful engine, can be found using the equation a_{max} = -mg(sin16) + fs,max / mass. The (sin16) term comes from breaking the weight (mg) into components, with the perpendicular component being mg(cos16) and the parallel component being mg(sin16). The coefficient of static friction, fs,max, can be found using the equation fs,max = .90 x normal force. To find the maximum acceleration, the normal force must be expressed in terms of mg. After simplifying the equation, the
diffusion

Homework Statement

A car is driving up a slope at angle 16 deg. to the horizontal, trying to accelerate as much as possible. The static and kinetic friction coefficients are .90 and .80, respectively. Find the maximum possible acceleration (assuming a sufficiently powerful engine).

Homework Equations

Fs,max = .90 x normal force
Max acceleration = -mg(sin16) + fs,max / mass

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I've seen a problem similar to this one and (plugging in the values from this question) it was solved using this first step:

Max acceleration = -mg(sin16) + fs,max / mass.

My first question is, where did the (sin16) come from? I drew a free body force diagram to look like this:

car.jpg

EDIT: Sorry, in the image, f,static should actually be f,kinetic, since the car is accelerating.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't that depend on how much power the engine can generate?

sArGe99 said:
Doesn't that depend on how much power the engine can generate?

The question says "Assuming a sufficiently powerful engine", so I'm guessing... no? :confused:

Anyone? Still have no clue where the sin16 came from. Opposite over hypotenuse, I don't see it.

diffusion said:
Still have no clue where the sin16 came from.
If you break the weight (mg, down) into components, the component parallel to the incline will be mg sinθ (down the incline). (If you think in terms of a right triangle, mg will be the hypotenuse.)

Doc Al said:
If you break the weight (mg, down) into components, the component parallel to the incline will be mg sinθ (down the incline). (If you think in terms of a right triangle, mg will be the hypotenuse.)

I feel like I'm never going to grasp this stuff. I just cannot see where you're getting this from.

Could you perhaps draw a diagram of what you mean? If not, thanks anyway.

Study this: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/vectors/u3l3e.cfm"

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc Al said:
Study this: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/vectors/u3l3e.cfm"

That was extremely helpful, thanks so much. I have 3 physics textbooks and none of them seem to explain that very well at all.

I'll give the question another shot now on my own and see what I get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I understand what I'm doing now (I think), but I can only seem to solve for max acceleration in terms of n or m. Can't seem to get a direct answer without knowing the mass of the car. Here's my work:

1. Separate the components of mg.

2. To find the maximum acceleration in the presence of friction, use the equation a[tex]_{max}[/tex] = mg(sin[tex]\theta[/tex]) + f[tex]_{s,max}[/tex] / m.

3. We're only given the coefficient of static friction, so to find f[tex]_{s,max}[/tex], we use f[tex]_{s,max}[/tex] = [tex]\mu[/tex][tex]_{s}[/tex] x n.

4. Plugging in the coefficient of static friction we get f[tex]_{s,max}[/tex] = (.90)n

5. Plug into original equation: a[tex]_{max}[/tex] = mg(sin16) + (.90)n / m.

6. Mass cancels, plug in g: a[tex]_{max}[/tex] = 9.8(sin16) + (.90)n.

7. Simplify: a[tex]_{max}[/tex] = 2.70 + (.90)n.

That's as far as I can go, don't know how to get rid of n without knowing the mass of the car. Or am I doing something wrong?

diffusion said:
Ok, I understand what I'm doing now (I think), but I can only seem to solve for max acceleration in terms of n or m. Can't seem to get a direct answer without knowing the mass of the car.
You don't need the mass to find the acceleration. It cancels out. Hint: Express the normal force in terms of mg.

Here's my work:

1. Separate the components of mg.
You need both components of mg, parallel and perpendicular to the ramp. The perpendicular component will tell you the normal force.

Doc Al said:
You don't need the mass to find the acceleration. It cancels out. Hint: Express the normal force in terms of mg.

You need both components of mg, parallel and perpendicular to the ramp. The perpendicular component will tell you the normal force.

Right. The perpendicular component equals the normal force because they have to balance each other out. The equation for the perpendicular component is mg(cos16), still leaving me with an extra m. Should there be two m's in the denominator, say, m[tex]_{1}[/tex] + m[tex]_{2}[/tex], one for each component?

diffusion said:
Right. The perpendicular component equals the normal force because they have to balance each other out. The equation for the perpendicular component is mg(cos16), still leaving me with an extra m.
It's not "extra". It's just what you need so that the m's cancel nicely.
Should there be two m's in the denominator, say, m[tex]_{1}[/tex] + m[tex]_{2}[/tex], one for each component?
Nope. I think you're making the same algebra error that you made in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2124470#post2124470

Ok, so we have:

a[tex]_{max}[/tex] = mg(sin16) + (.90)mg(cos16) / m

Which can be factored into:

a[tex]_{max}[/tex] = m(g[sin16] + .90g[cos16]) / m

m's cancel, and plug in 9.8 for g:

a[tex]_{max}[/tex] = (9.8[sin16] + .90(9.8)[cos16])

a[tex]_{max}[/tex] = 11.17m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex]

diffusion said:
Ok, so we have:

a[tex]_{max}[/tex] = mg(sin16) + (.90)mg(cos16) / m
You left out a minus sign in from of the mg(sin16). (Otherwise: Good!)

Doc Al said:
You left out a minus sign in from of the mg(sin16). (Otherwise: Good!)

Oh, so rather, it would look like:

(-9.8[sin16] + .90(9.8)[cos16])

= 5.78 m/s[tex]_{2}[/tex]

Good!

Hey Doc Al, shouldn't the force diagram have static friction going UP the hill. Because the static friction is what drives cars?

xplosiv said:
Hey Doc Al, shouldn't the force diagram have static friction going UP the hill. Because the static friction is what drives cars?
Absolutely. The diagram is wrong. I meant to point that out, but forgot. Thanks!

(But the equation ended up OK.)

1. What is the definition of "max acceleration" of a car up a ramp?

The max acceleration of a car up a ramp refers to the maximum rate at which the car can increase its velocity while moving up the ramp.

2. How is the max acceleration of a car up a ramp calculated?

The max acceleration of a car up a ramp can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time taken for the car to reach that velocity.

3. What factors affect the max acceleration of a car up a ramp?

The factors that affect the max acceleration of a car up a ramp include the weight and power of the car, the incline of the ramp, and the type of surface the ramp is made of.

4. What is the difference between the max acceleration of a car on a flat surface and up a ramp?

The max acceleration of a car on a flat surface is usually greater than that of a car up a ramp, as the car has to overcome the force of gravity while moving up the ramp.

5. How can the max acceleration of a car up a ramp be increased?

The max acceleration of a car up a ramp can be increased by reducing the weight of the car, increasing its power, or decreasing the incline of the ramp.