How High Does a Rocket Go with Initial Acceleration of 250 m/s²?

In summary, the rocket is fired vertically with an acceleration of 250 m/s2 and after 30 seconds, the motor is shut off. Assuming negligible air resistance, the maximum altitude achieved by the rocket is 112500 meters and the total time from take-off to return to the surface of the earth is 181.52 seconds. The calculation can be split into two parts, before and after the motor is turned off, in order to determine the initial velocity, acceleration, displacement, and time. The final velocity at the maximum altitude is 0.
l888l888l888

Homework Statement

A rocket is red vertically with an acceleration of 250 m/s2. After 30 seconds, the
rocket's motor shuts o . Find the maximum altitude achieved by the rocket and the
total time from take-o to return to the surface of the earth, assuming that the rocket's
design makes air resistance negligible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

d^2x/dt=a=acceleration.
dx/dt=at+c = velocity=v(t)
v(0)=0 implies c=0 so v(t)=at
x(t)=1/2*a*t*t +d. x(0)=0 implies d=0 so x(t)=x(t)=1/2*a*t*t
x(t)=(1/2)*a*t*t=1/2 * (250)*30*30=112500 meters
112500=1/2 * 9.8 * t$ *t$. where t$ is the time it takes to return to earth.
t$= 151.52 secs
total time is t +t$=181.52 secs.

Is this right? My classmates did it differently but I do not understand how I am wrong. please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct!

I hope so. My classmates are saying that after 30 seconds when the motor shuts off the rocket still continues upward for a while under the force of gravity (ie the rocket does not immediately return to the ground). if that is the case how would i do this problem differently?

Delphi51 said:
You are correct!

Are you sure? After the thrust has finished, the rocket will be traveling quite fast, and will not instantaneously start moving downwards.

OP, what is the speed after 30 seconds of acceleration? Now, you have an initial velocity, an acceleration, a displacement, so you can calculate a time.

sjb-2812 said:
Are you sure? After the thrust has finished, the rocket will be traveling quite fast, and will not instantaneously start moving downwards.

OP, what is the speed after 30 seconds of acceleration? Now, you have an initial velocity, an acceleration, a displacement, so you can calculate a time.

that is what my classmates are saying. but i don't know exactly how to change wat i did. can you help me?

Caught me!
We have to calculate the velocity at time 30 s, how long it continues to go up before reaching speed zero, and how far it goes up in that time.

You can split this into two parts
a) whilst the trust is going on
b) after it is turned off.

a) initial velocity = 0, initial acceleration = 250 m/s2, time = 30 s.

Displacement = x Final velocity = y

b) initial velocity = y, acceleration = -g, displacement = -x

Time = w

b)' When the height is at a max, the velocity must be 0
initial velocity = y, acceleration = -g, final velocity = 0

Displacement = v

1. What is the max altitude that a rocket can reach?

The maximum altitude that a rocket can reach depends on various factors such as the size and design of the rocket, the amount of fuel it carries, and the strength of its propulsion system. On average, a model rocket can reach heights of up to 1,000 feet, while larger commercial rockets can reach altitudes of over 62 miles.

2. How is the max altitude of a rocket determined?

The max altitude of a rocket is determined by its thrust-to-weight ratio, which is the amount of thrust produced by the rocket's engine in relation to its weight. Other factors that affect the max altitude include air resistance, gravity, and atmospheric conditions.

3. Can a rocket reach unlimited altitude?

No, a rocket cannot reach unlimited altitude. As it travels higher into the Earth's atmosphere, the air becomes thinner and the rocket experiences less resistance. Eventually, the rocket will reach a point where it can no longer generate enough thrust to overcome the force of gravity and it will begin to fall back to Earth.

4. What is the world record for the highest altitude reached by a rocket?

The current world record for the highest altitude reached by a rocket is held by NASA's Juno spacecraft, which reached an altitude of 130,000 miles above the Earth's surface in 2016. However, this is not the highest altitude reached by a rocket overall, as other spacecrafts have been launched into deep space and have traveled even further.

5. Is there a limit to how high a rocket can go?

Yes, there is a limit to how high a rocket can go. The limit is known as the Kármán line, which is an imaginary boundary at an altitude of 62 miles above the Earth's surface. Beyond this point, the Earth's atmosphere is so thin that it is considered to be outer space. Therefore, any altitude beyond the Kármán line is technically considered to be the edge of space.