1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max and min forces on an elevator.

1. Oct 28, 2005 #1
    " A elevator with a mass of 4850 kg is to be designed so that the maximum acceleration is 0.0600 g's. What are the max and min forces the motor should exert on the cable?"
    I converted the .0600 gs to .558 m/s/s, but when iplugged it in to the F=ma formula i got the wrong answer? am i supposed to use another formula? :bugeye:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2005 #2
    Yes.

I think you use Fnet = Ft - Fg

Where Ft is the forces the motor exerts on cable.

^
    |
    | Ft
    ^ |
    | ______
    Fnet | |
    _______
    |
    | Fg
    V

For the min Fnet = 0 so Fg = Ft so Ft = 4850 x 9.8

and the max Fnet = Ft - Fg
    would be (4850)(0.06)(9.8) + (9.8)(4850) = Ft

I could be wrong because I'm crap at Physics but, eh, at least I moved your question to the top again.

4. Oct 28, 2005 #3

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

You used the right equation but with the wrong variables. Think, on the way down gravity makes the elevater to accelerate at 9.8m/s/s so to cancel that out the moter needs to pull enough to accelerate the elevator upwards with the acceleration of 9.8 + .588 m/s/s. (this is what kirby said but I didn't see him untill I posted)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?