1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max and min frequencies of a capacitor

1. Jun 5, 2005 #1
    A variable capacitor with a range from 10 to 365 p is used with a coil to form a variable frequency LC circuit t0 tune the input to a radio.

a. What ratio of max and min frequencies may be obtained with such capcitor.

I used that [tex]\omega=\frac 1{\sqrt(LC)}[/tex] to get the ratio of max to min frequencies.

b. If this circuit is to obtain frequencies from 0.54 MHz to 1.60 mHz, the rato computed is too large. By adding a capacitor in parallel, this range may be adjused. What should the capacitance of this added be?

I said that [tex]C_{eq} = C_{old}+C_{new}[/tex]

I have to compute what [tex] C_{new} [/tex]. From part 1, I know my [tex]C_{old} [/tex]. But, how do I find [tex]C_{eq}[/tex] first? I am thinking that I have to compute that using the frequencies, but how do I get L?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2005 #2
    You're not doing anything to the coil, are you? Why would L change from what it was before adding the second capacitor?

4. Jun 5, 2005 #3
    I thought that the L cancelled out when I was doing the ratio before. So, would I use L from part A? Do I solve for L?

5. Jun 5, 2005 #4
    Use the earlier inductance and the frequencies the circuit is supposed to be able to deal with. Solve for C_eq and solve for C_new.

6. Jun 5, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are given [itex]\omega_1, ~\omega _2 [/itex]. You know [itex]C_{old}[/itex]. The unknowns are [itex]L,~C_{eq},~C_{new}[/itex].

You have three equations in 3 unknowns...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?