1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max and Min Problem

1. Apr 24, 2005 #1
    Hello Everyone,

I am having trouble with a maximum problem and I'm not quite sure where I am going wrong so I will type of the problem and what I have done so far.

Find two positive numbers whose sum is 18 and the product of the first number and the square of the other is a maximum.

Here is what I've done so far:

x + y = 18 ---> y = 18 - x

xy^2=P

P = x(18-x)^2
    P = x(324 - 36x + x^2)
    P= x^3 - 36x^2 + 324X

To find where there is a maximum I found the first derivative of the equation above:

dP/dx = 3x^2 - 72x + 324

This is where I'm stuck, I know I want to make the first derivative equal to zero so I can find the values for the maximum, and verify my answer using the second derivative, but the first derivative cannot be factored. I must be doing something terribly wrong. The first time I did it I got x = 18 and y = 0 which cannot be right, to get that answer I took out a common x value in the equation P equation, but when I did the second derivative test it showed that the answer was actually a minimum. If anyone could give me some direction here I would really appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2005 #2
    It doesnt need to be factorable, worst come to worst, you can use the quadratic formula.

Also dP/dx does simplify.

[tex] (18-x)^2 - 2x(18-x) = (18-x)(18-x-2x) = (18-x)(18-3x)[/tex]

4. Apr 24, 2005 #3
    Ok turns out I'm mighty dumb...lol.

so dP/dx= (x-18)(x-6) = 0
    therefore x can equal 18 or 6
    when you take the second derivative the only number that equals a maximum is 6, so the two numbers are x = 6 and y = 12.

I think that is right now.

5. Apr 24, 2005 #4
    This doesnt equal [itex] 3x^2 - 72x + 324[/itex]

6. Apr 25, 2005 #5
    Actually it does, since 3, 72, and 324 are all divisible by three the polynomial can be simplified to x^2 -24x + 108 which can be factored to be (x -18)(x -6)

7. Apr 25, 2005 #6
    But you still have to tag a 3 on there.. expand your factors.. you get x^2-24x+108, which is 3 times less than the original polynomial.

When you solve for x you can eliminate it though, which is what I think ur doing.

8. Apr 29, 2005 #7
    Oh right, my bad. Just the sort of thing I'd get on a students case about writing, I'm such a hypocrite. :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?