Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max charging for SLA battery?

1. Jul 10, 2005 #1
    What is the max current for a rapid sealed lead acid battery charger?

Most recommend 0.1C up to 1C where C = Ah rating. I have a max 30-32A regulated 13.8VDC power supply and the battery is 12V, 170Ah. Would charging the battery at the max 32A damage the battery?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2005 #2
    I dont think that the battery will draw the full 32A , in fact i am sure it wont..unless it is past , way past , its prime..
    13.8-12 =1.8V
    1.8/(internal resistance of battery) approx(.3 ohms) =6 amps..
    it should work fine, as it is...
    note :: it may draw more or less depending on the actual internal resistance and the amount of charge it allready has ..
  4. Jul 10, 2005 #3
    The power supply is current limited but I'm worried abt whether the 32A will cause damage to the battery(if fully drained)?
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  5. Jul 10, 2005 #4
    does your power supply have an ammeter built in ?
  6. Jul 10, 2005 #5
    No but I can easily install 1
  7. Jul 10, 2005 #6
    what i mean is, if you were to measure the current , you wouldnt be damageing your Ammeter..?
    If not ,then try it with the ammeter installed and see what current the battery is drawing..
  8. Jul 10, 2005 #7
    so what is the max allowable current for charging? I can measure the current with a clamp ammeter.
  9. Jul 10, 2005 #8
    if you were to measure 6 A when when the battery is connected , you could leave it on for 28 hours ..
    170/6 = 28 approx..
    as you said at the beginning , 0.1c = 17A , but that is pretty high ...
  10. Jul 10, 2005 #9

Science Advisor

11. Jul 10, 2005 #10

Science Advisor

The few times I charged my motorcycle battery with a charger designed for an auto battery, I put the charger in series with the headlamp. Of course the charge time is much longer.
  12. Jul 10, 2005 #11
    I was wondering about that myself..
    but i'm sure cookiebar knows how to measure current..
  13. Jul 10, 2005 #12
    I don't know why they wouldn't exist and I can't say I have actually seen one but using a hall sensor you should be able to measure DC amps with a clamp on meter. I have seen sensors that permanently go in-line for current measurement. They are a square donut type of thing that the wire goes through loosely. I can't see why this couldn't be adapted to a clamp on sort of thing. My two cents...
  14. Jul 10, 2005 #13

Science Advisor

Yeah, that seems to jog my memory.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?