Which Equation Should Be Used for Finding Maximum Constant Deceleration?

In summary, The conversation discussion the use of equations to find the maximum constant deceleration given an initial speed, time to stop, and distance. The two equations mentioned, v = u + at and s = 1/2at^2 + ut, both give the same answer for constant acceleration. The participant questions the mention of maximum and minimum deceleration, as there can only be one constant deceleration in this scenario. The use of displacement and distance is also discussed.
sandman203

Homework Statement

Hi all this is just a quickie, but in one of my texts a question asks to find the maximum constant deceleration given an initial speed, time to stop and the distance it took.

Now I am not sure whether to use v = u + at or s = 1/2at^2 + ut

im thinking more v = u + at becuase I am not given displacement, I am given a distance.. any thoughts? cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do both give the same answer?

If it's constant acceleration, and the given inputs are the initial speed and time to stop, there there is only one possible constant acceleration (deceleration). The maximum and minimum would be the same. I'm not sure why that was mentioned. It the distance to stop is also given, it either corresponds to the time, or else there's a conflict in the problem statement.

Why would you think, in this case, that displacement is not equal to distance?

As a scientist, it is important to carefully consider the equations and variables involved in a problem before deciding on the appropriate equation to use. In this case, since you are given the initial speed, time to stop, and distance, it would be more appropriate to use the equation v = u + at. This equation relates the final velocity (v), initial velocity (u), acceleration (a), and time (t), which are all given in the problem. Using this equation, you can solve for the maximum constant deceleration. It is always important to check that the units of your final answer are consistent with the units of acceleration (m/s^2). I hope this helps. Good luck with your homework!

What is Max Const. Deceleration?

Max Const. Deceleration, or Maximum Constant Deceleration, is a measure of the maximum rate at which an object can slow down without experiencing damage or failure.

How is Max Const. Deceleration calculated?

Max Const. Deceleration is calculated by dividing the initial velocity of an object by the time it takes for the object to come to a complete stop.

What factors affect Max Const. Deceleration?

The factors that affect Max Const. Deceleration include the mass and velocity of the object, as well as the surface and conditions it is decelerating on.

Why is Max Const. Deceleration important?

Max Const. Deceleration is important because it helps determine the safety and durability of objects during deceleration, such as in car crashes or when objects are dropped.

How is Max Const. Deceleration used in scientific research?

Max Const. Deceleration is used in scientific research to understand the limits and capabilities of materials and structures, and to design safer and more efficient products.