Max Error in 8-bit ADC: 7.55mV

In summary, for an 8-bit ADC with a full scale input of 2.55V and cumulative errors of 2.55mV, the maximum error can be either 7.55mV or 12.55mV depending on whether the cumulative errors include quantization error or not. If quantization error is included, the maximum error is 12.55mV, while if it is not included, the maximum error is 7.55mV. This is due to the possibility of the maximum input being slightly less than the full scale input, causing the quantization error to be equal to the LSB rather than half of it.
asp_physics

Homework Statement

An 8 bit ADC has a full scale input of 2.55V. If other cumulative errors are 2.55mV, determine the maximum error.

Options are: 10mV, 2.55mV, 12.55mV, 7.45mV

Homework Equations

I believe this is a conceptual question. The only equation I can come up with is that the quantization error in an ADC is at max, half of LSB.

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming cumulative errors as mentioned in the question does not include quantization error (LSB/2),
maximum error
= Q error + C error
=5mV + 2.55mV
= 7.55mV

If cumulative errors include Q error, then max error = 2.55mV as the other errors that can creep into an ADC are non-linearity and aperture errors, both of which more data to calculate.

Physics news on Phys.org
asp_physics said:

Homework Statement

An 8 bit ADC has a full scale input of 2.55V. If other cumulative errors are 2.55mV, determine the maximum error.

Options are: 10mV, 2.55mV, 12.55mV, 7.45mV

Homework Equations

I believe this is a conceptual question. The only equation I can come up with is that the quantization error in an ADC is at max, half of LSB.

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming cumulative errors as mentioned in the question does not include quantization error (LSB/2),
maximum error
= Q error + C error
=5mV + 2.55mV
= 7.55mV

If cumulative errors include Q error, then max error = 2.55mV as the other errors that can creep into an ADC are non-linearity and aperture errors, both of which more data to calculate.

I think your solution is correct. Half of an LSB plus the other error...

There is no such ans like 7.55mv.
I think...
Quantization Error is (ε Max)= 2.55v/(2^8)=10 mv
so total error = 10mv+2.55mv = 12.55 mv(Correct Ans)

As per ur concept," if Qunts. error contain in 2.55mv other Cumulative error " which is not possible.

10-2.55 =7.45 mv(not the Ans)

Last edited:
Although you might think an ADC module should be designed to have a quantization error of ½LSB, in practice it may be the case that max quantization error = LSB. This comes about by max input (corresponding to output=11111111) being 127/128 Vref.

However, the given information does not specify if these errors are included in the cumulative errors mentioned. Therefore, I would assume the maximum error to be 7.55mV.

What is an 8-bit ADC?

An 8-bit ADC, or analog-to-digital converter, is a device that converts analog signals into digital signals by quantizing the input voltage into 8 discrete levels.

What is the significance of "Max Error" in an 8-bit ADC?

The "Max Error" in an 8-bit ADC refers to the maximum possible difference between the actual analog input voltage and the corresponding digital output value. It is a measure of the accuracy of the converter.

What does "7.55mV" represent in the context of "Max Error"?

In this context, "7.55mV" represents the maximum error in voltage that can occur in an 8-bit ADC. This means that the digital output value may deviate from the actual analog input voltage by up to 7.55 millivolts.

How does "Max Error" affect the performance of an 8-bit ADC?

The lower the "Max Error" value, the more accurate the 8-bit ADC is in converting analog signals to digital. A high "Max Error" can result in significant distortion and loss of information in the converted signal.

Can the "Max Error" be reduced in an 8-bit ADC?

Yes, by using more precise components and implementing calibration techniques, the "Max Error" can be reduced in an 8-bit ADC. However, it is important to note that it cannot be completely eliminated and will always exist to some degree.