1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archived Max flow through a pipe

1. Jul 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the maximum flow rate that can be seen in a water pipe where city water is supplied to a building. The pressure behind the water is 50psi, and the inner diameter of the pipe is 2".

2. Relevant equations
    bernoulli's principle

3. The attempt at a solution

I am more over verifying that my process is correct in solving this. I assumed no pipe losses. I used the bernoulli equation. The first point of the bernoulli equation I estimated as the surface of a pond, ocean, or some infinite water source where v=0 (the water elevation does not change) to cancel out the velocity term for point 1. The pressure on top of the surface is 50psi.

The elevation for both points I assumed to be equal, which cancels out all terms for point 1 other than P/density.

For point 2 I used the exit of the pipe where the fed water is first exposed to the atmosphere (p=0). Since the elevation is the same this leaves only the following equation:

Pressure_1/density=V_2^2/2
    V=Q/A
    therefore
    Pressure/density=(Q/A)^2/2
    The only unknown in this equation is Q, so it can be solved for.

My question is: is this a valid solution if I am ignoring pipe losses?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In a pipe of constant cross section, a pressure difference between the ends implies a force difference, yet the flow rate must be constant. This proves the question is all about viscous drag and Bernoulli does not help.

4. Feb 5, 2016 #3
    You cant use Bernoulli, and I will show you why:

Create a balance between the ends of the pipes, 1 designating the front of the pipe and 2 designating the end.

You will have:
    P1,T1,V1,rho1,Z1 and P2,T2,V2,rho2,Z2

You know that the temperature, density, and elevation are constant, so T2=T1, rho1=rho2 and Z2=Z1.

You can now apply the Bernoulli equation.

(P2-P1) - rho/2 (V2^2 - V1^2) + hl = 0

Immediately we have a problem. While we do know P2 - P1, we don't know V2 or V1. Additionally, if we wish to apply the Darcy friction/loss formulas (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darcy–Weisbach_equation) we do not know the length of the pipe or the operating Reynolds number, so we cant use these equations.

My recommendation:
    Assume the flow is laminar. You know there is a certain velocity profile from laminar flow. From here you can calculate the flow rate using Q = V*A where V is the average velocity and A is the cross sectional area. You can do this if the flow is turbulent too, but you have to make some additional assumptions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted