Calculating Force of a Small Potato Cannon

In summary: So this is just a rough estimate.In summary, the conversation discusses the construction and use of a potato cannon, specifically the use of hairspray as fuel and the potential for a maximum power point. The question of how to calculate the force of the fuel is raised, with suggestions of using a momentum or energy equation. It is also mentioned that the accuracy of the calculation may be affected by factors such as friction and heat.
jameslat
Hello,

I built a small potato cannon out of PVC pipe/steel. It's 15.5 cm long, and about 7.6 cm wide on the inside. It's made of 2 parts the barrel and combustion chamber (or as i refer to, "the death chamber"). the "death chamber" is cylinder about 7.6 cm long and 7.6 cm thick.
and the barrel is about 7.6 cm long but it's only about 2.5 cm thick so as to allow a great deal of pressure to be focused on the projectile. I use hairspray as my fuel.

Is there a maximum power point in which after a certain amount of hairspray, it won't matter how much more is added because it will still give the same results?

(assuming I know the Velocity initial when it comes out of the barrel) How can I calculate the force that the the fuel is causing?
(would it be a momentum equation like p=(mass of projectile)*velocity , but how would i incorporate the length of the barrel?)

Please help put me on the right track and,
Thanks so much for your time,

-James

Physics news on Phys.org
jameslat said:
Hello,

I built a small potato cannon out of PVC pipe/steel. It's 15.5 cm long, and about 7.6 cm wide on the inside. It's made of 2 parts the barrel and combustion chamber (or as i refer to, "the death chamber"). the "death chamber" is cylinder about 7.6 cm long and 7.6 cm thick.
and the barrel is about 7.6 cm long but it's only about 2.5 cm thick so as to allow a great deal of pressure to be focused on the projectile. I use hairspray as my fuel.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Is there a maximum power point in which after a certain amount of hairspray, it won't matter how much more is added because it will still give the same results?

I'm not a combustion chemist, but I would guess yes since there is only so much oxygen in there.

(assuming I know the Velocity initial when it comes out of the barrel) How can I calculate the force that the the fuel is causing?
(would it be a momentum equation like p=(mass of projectile)*velocity , but how would i incorporate the length of the barrel?)

Force must vary as potato goes down the barrel. So it isn't really correct to say "the force". If you can write force as a changing function of time or distance, calculus can be used. Otherwise you can talk about the "average force". Then question arises "average over what? distance or time?". I think (Force)(Time) = (Mass)(Velocity) would apply if Force was the average force over time. However, you're more likely to know the distance down the barrel that the time it took the potato to travel that distance.

So you might use Work = (Force)(Distance) = Kinetic Energy = 1/2 (Mass)(Velocity squared). The drawback is that energy equations are less reliable than momentum equations since energy gets lost as friction, heat etc.

1. How do you calculate the force of a small potato cannon?

The force of a small potato cannon can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the projectile (potato), and a is the acceleration of the projectile. The acceleration can be calculated using the distance the potato travels and the time it takes to travel that distance.

2. What is the mass of the potato used in the calculation?

The mass of the potato used in the calculation is the mass of the projectile that is being launched from the cannon. This can be measured using a digital scale.

3. How do you measure the distance traveled by the potato?

The distance traveled by the potato can be measured using a measuring tape or ruler. Simply measure the distance from the end of the cannon to where the potato lands.

4. What is the typical acceleration of a small potato cannon?

The acceleration of a small potato cannon can vary depending on factors such as the design of the cannon, the amount of air pressure used, and the weight of the projectile. In general, the acceleration can range from 10-30 meters per second squared.

5. Can other factors affect the force of a small potato cannon?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the force of a small potato cannon. These include the air pressure used, the design of the cannon, the weight and shape of the projectile, and external factors such as wind. Additionally, the force of the cannon can also be affected by any malfunctions or errors in the construction or operation of the cannon.