Max. height and range problem I can't crack

In summary, on a distant planet where golf is popular, a golfer can drive the ball 4.00 times farther than on Earth with the same initial velocities. The ball is launched at a speed of 42.6m/s at an angle of 28.2o above the horizontal and lands at the same level as the tee. The maximum height of the ball can be calculated using the formula H = \frac {v_0^2 \sin ^2 \theta}{2g}, where g on the planet is one fourth that on Earth. The range of the ball can be calculated using the formula R = \frac {v_0^2 \sin {2\theta}}{2g} with g on
DuffBeer
19.[2pt]
On a distant planet, golf is just as popular as it is on earth. A golfer tees off and drives the ball 4.00 times as far as he would have on earth, given the same initial velocities on both planets. The ball is launched at a speed of 42.6m/s at an angle of 28.2o above the horizontal. When the ball lands, it is at the same level as the tee. On the distant planet, what is the maximum height of the ball?
Answer:

20.[2pt]
What is the range of the ball?
Answer:

its so hard to do without Earth gravity... i can't figure it out! :-( please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right, it is hard to do without a gravitational constant. Can you find the gravitational constant from the info you have?

The range is: [itex]R = \frac {v_0^2 \sin {2\theta}}{2g}[/itex] so it's easy to infer that g on the planet is one fourth that on Earth.

The maximum height is [itex]H = \frac {v_0^2 \sin ^2 \theta}{2g}[/itex] and you should have no trouble doing the rest.

Tide said:
The range is: [itex]R = \frac {v_0^2 \sin {2\theta}}{2g}[/itex] so it's easy to infer that g on the planet is one fourth that on Earth.

The maximum height is [itex]H = \frac {v_0^2 \sin ^2 \theta}{2g}[/itex] and you should have no trouble doing the rest.

the trig identity is sin2(thet) is 2sin(thet)cos(thet) right?

my ansewrs not coming out correct... i quadroople checked the algebra

It's difficult for us to comment on what you have done when you haven't shown us what you have done.

HallsofIvy said:
It's difficult for us to comment on what you have done when you haven't shown us what you have done.

oh, sorry.

took R = v0^2 * sin2(theta) /2g

turned it into v0^2 * 2 * sin(theta) * cos(theta) / 2g (trig identity)

crossed out the 2s

plugged in 28 for theta, 42.6 for v0, and 2.45 (.25*9.8) for G. - solved.

got 307.042 meters - got the question wrong...

i guess it doesn't matter now because i missed the due date for the problem, but id still like to figure out how to do it for future reference.

im not exactly clear on why g is .25...

Start with
[tex]R = \frac {v_0^2}{2g} \sin 2\theta[/tex]
and with identical initial speed and angles just set up the proportion
[tex]\frac {R_1}{R_2} = \frac {g_2}{g_1}[/tex]
Your statement was that [itex]R_2 = 4 R_1[/itex] so [itex]g_2 = \frac {1}{4} g_1[/itex].

Tide said:
Start with
[tex]R = \frac {v_0^2}{2g} \sin 2\theta[/tex]
and with identical initial speed and angles just set up the proportion
[tex]\frac {R_1}{R_2} = \frac {g_2}{g_1}[/tex]
Your statement was that [itex]R_2 = 4 R_1[/itex] so [itex]g_2 = \frac {1}{4} g_1[/itex].

ohhh... thanks for clearing that up! :smile:

1. What is the equation for calculating maximum height and range?

The equations for calculating maximum height and range in a projectile motion problem are as follows:
Maximum Height (Hmax) = (Vy)2 / (2 * g)
Range (R) = (Vx) * t

2. How do you determine the initial velocity (V0) in a projectile motion problem?

The initial velocity (V0) can be determined by using the following formula:
V0 = √(Vx2 + Vy2)
where Vx is the initial horizontal velocity and Vy is the initial vertical velocity.

3. What is the value of acceleration due to gravity (g) used in projectile motion problems?

The standard value used for acceleration due to gravity (g) is approximately 9.8 m/s2. However, this value may vary depending on the location and altitude of the object in the problem.

4. Are there any assumptions made in solving a projectile motion problem?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made in solving a projectile motion problem. These include:
1. Neglecting air resistance
2. Assuming a constant acceleration due to gravity (g)
3. Assuming a flat and level surface
4. Ignoring the rotation of the Earth
5. Assuming that the initial horizontal velocity (Vx) remains unchanged throughout the motion.

5. How can I check if my calculated values for maximum height and range are correct?

You can check the calculated values by using the following formulas:
1. For maximum height: Hmax = (Vy)2 / (2 * g)
2. For range: R = (Vx) * t
Plug in the values of initial velocity (V0), time (t), and acceleration due to gravity (g) in these formulas and check if the calculated values match your results. Additionally, you can also use a projectile motion calculator or graph the motion to verify your values.