1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max height of the Rocket

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    Ok, so i need to find the max height that my rocket travelled, however, the only thin gi got is that a reader holding a clinometer is 50m form the launch site and is 1.78m heigh. According to him, my rocket travelled with a 59 degree in 3.83 sec (taken when the rocket's parachute came out at the top altitude).

2. Relevant equations
    No idea, but i think that Vy = tsinTHETA might work, but i still am clue less.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Like i said, i have no idea where to start
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

A clinometer can be used to measure a slope angle or a height. In the latter case the clinometer angle is the angle between the launch point and max height point from the observer's location.

You need to know whether the observer was measuring the angle of the launch or the height of the rocket at max altitude (I suspect the latter from the wording of the problem). Some trig will be required to disentangle the observer's height from the measurement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook