Max K.E. of Electron: Compton Effect Problem

In summary, the maximum kinetic energy of an electron recoiling from a free electron at rest is given by: K_{max} = \frac{E^2}{E + mc^2/2}
Reshma
Show that when a photon of energy E is scattered from a free electron at rest, the maximum kinetic energy of the recoiling electron is given by:
[tex]K_{max} = \frac{E^2}{E + mc^2/2}[/tex]

This a "Compton effect" problem.
The kinetic energy of the electron is given by:
[itex]K = E - hf'[/itex] where f' is the frequency of the scattered photon. But this doesn't even remotely resemble the result I need. Am I missing out on something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Reshma said:
Show that when a photon of energy E is scattered from a free electron at rest, the maximum kinetic energy of the recoiling electron is given by:
[tex]K_{max} = \frac{E^2}{E + mc^2/2}[/tex]

This a "Compton effect" problem.
The kinetic energy of the electron is given by:
[itex]K = E - hf'[/itex] where f' is the frequency of the scattered photon. But this doesn't even remotely resemble the result I need. Am I missing out on something?

You know that in the Compton effect, the wavelength of the scattered photon is longer than that of the incident photon as given by the equation : [tex]\Delta\lambda = \lambda_f - \lambda_i = \frac{h}{mc}(1-\cos\theta)[/tex] where the subscripts denote final and initial wavelength, theta is the angle of scatter and m is the rest electron mass.

By conservation of energy, the entire difference in photon energies between initial and final must be passed on to the electron as kinetic energy. So you want to maximise [tex]\Delta\lambda[/tex].

By looking at the constraints on cos theta, figure out the maximum possible value of [tex]\Delta\lambda[/tex] in terms of h, m and c.

Now express the wavelength in terms of photon energy E. Rearrange the equation until you've formed a relationship between the final and initial photon energies. The requried kinetic energy of the electron will be the difference between the initial and final photon energies.

Wow, I was just reading this :rofl:

1. What is the maximum kinetic energy of an electron in the Compton effect?

The maximum kinetic energy of an electron in the Compton effect is given by the Compton formula, which is:
K.E. = (h/mc)(1-cosθ), where h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, c is the speed of light, and θ is the scattering angle.

2. What is the significance of the maximum kinetic energy of an electron in the Compton effect?

The maximum kinetic energy of an electron in the Compton effect is significant because it represents the maximum amount of energy that can be transferred from a photon to an electron during the scattering process. This energy transfer is essential in understanding the behavior of matter on a microscopic level.

3. How is the maximum kinetic energy of an electron in the Compton effect experimentally determined?

The maximum kinetic energy of an electron in the Compton effect can be experimentally determined by measuring the energy of the scattered X-ray photons and calculating the difference between their energy and the initial energy of the incident X-ray photons. This difference corresponds to the energy transferred to the electron.

4. What are the factors that affect the maximum kinetic energy of an electron in the Compton effect?

The maximum kinetic energy of an electron in the Compton effect is affected by the energy of the incident X-ray photons, the mass of the electron, and the scattering angle. Higher energy photons, lighter electrons, and larger scattering angles result in a higher maximum kinetic energy of the electron.

5. Can the maximum kinetic energy of an electron in the Compton effect be greater than the initial energy of the incident X-ray photons?

No, the maximum kinetic energy of an electron in the Compton effect cannot be greater than the initial energy of the incident X-ray photons. This is because energy is conserved in the scattering process, and the maximum amount of energy that can be transferred to the electron is limited by the energy of the incident photons.