1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max Length Of Vertical Spring

1. Nov 13, 2012 #1
    A mass of 0.5 kg hangs motionless from a vertical spring whose length is 0.80 m and whose unstretched length is 0.40 m. Next the mass is pulled down to where the spring has a length of 1.00 m and given an initial speed upwards of 1.5 m/s. What is the maximum length of the spring during the motion that follows?

2. Uspring = .5kx^2, KE = .5mv^2

3.First I found the k value of the spring by taking F=-kx, or mg=kx and got 4.9=k(.4) or k = 12.25. Then, I thought the KEinitial + Uinitial = Ufinal. So I solved the equation .5(12.25)(.6)^2+.5(.5)(1.5)^2 = .5(12.25)(x)^2 to find x, or the final chance in the length of the spring. Once I found this, which I got to be.672, I added this to the unstretched length to get 1.07 as the max length of the spring. However, the correct answer is 1.16 and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do not forget the change of gravitational potential energy.

ehild

4. Nov 13, 2012 #3
    I thought of that, but I am entirely uncertain how to add that in because we won't know the potential of gravity unless we know the final length, right? How would I add this in?

5. Nov 13, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Express it in terms of x.

ehild

6. Nov 14, 2012 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can place the zero of gravitational potential energy at the end of the unstretched spring. Initially, the potential energy is -0.6mg, and the final potential energy is -mgx.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook