Max Load Capacity of Rack Built from 2x2x.25 Steel Tubing

In summary, the conversation is about determining the capacity of a shelf made of 2x2x.25 steel tubing. The main question is how to account for supports when determining the maximum capacity. The person is planning to store steel on the shelf and has provided a rough sketch of the design. It is suggested that the shelf can be treated as several sections if supports are placed every 1ft.
blake92
I am trying to determine the capacity of this shelf i am building out of 2x2x.25 steel tubing. My only real question as of now, is let's say its 4ft wide and 8ft long, if i put a support every 1ft, does that mean when determining the max capacity i could treat it as several sections?

guess what i am wondering is how do i account for supports when determining a max capacity?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I presume you mean something shaped like shown here: http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/hrsteel2.phtml?page=sqtube
blake92 said:
if i put a support every 1ft, does that mean when determining the max capacity i could treat it as several sections?
Basically, yes.
What are you hoping to place on said shelf?

Would be for steel storage. I attached a rough idea of what i am talking about. The verticals would be the legs, horizontal is where the weight is applied.

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 474

1. What is the maximum load capacity of a rack built from 2x2x.25 steel tubing?

The maximum load capacity of a rack built from 2x2x.25 steel tubing will depend on several factors, such as the type and quality of the steel tubing, the design and construction of the rack, and the distribution of weight on the rack. It is important to consult a structural engineer or refer to load capacity charts to determine the exact maximum load capacity for your specific rack.

2. How does the type and quality of steel tubing affect the maximum load capacity of the rack?

The type and quality of steel tubing used to build a rack can significantly impact its maximum load capacity. Thicker and stronger steel tubing will generally have a higher load capacity compared to thinner and weaker steel tubing. Additionally, the type of steel, such as carbon steel or stainless steel, can also affect the load capacity.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a rack for maximum load capacity?

When designing a rack for maximum load capacity, it is important to consider the type and quality of steel tubing, the design and construction of the rack, and the intended use and weight distribution on the rack. Other factors such as environmental conditions and safety regulations should also be taken into account.

4. Are there any industry standards for the maximum load capacity of racks built from 2x2x.25 steel tubing?

While there are no specific industry standards for the maximum load capacity of racks built from 2x2x.25 steel tubing, there are load capacity charts and guidelines available from various organizations and manufacturers. It is important to consult these resources or seek the advice of a structural engineer to ensure the safety and efficiency of your rack.

5. Can the maximum load capacity of a rack built from 2x2x.25 steel tubing be increased?

In most cases, the maximum load capacity of a rack built from 2x2x.25 steel tubing cannot be increased without compromising its structural integrity. Any modifications or additions to the rack should be carefully evaluated and approved by a structural engineer to ensure it can safely support the increased load capacity.