How Do You Solve a Max Min Quadratic Problem in Economics?

However, the number of visitors that gives the maximum revenue would actually be 600 (2000-1400), since the question stated that for every $1 increase in admission cost, 100 fewer people would visit the park. So the correct answer would be 600 visitors giving a revenue of $19,600. Your equation and solution are correct. Great job!
aisha
I used to know how to do this but I can't remember can someone please help me out?

An amusement park charges $8 admission and average of 2000 visitors per day. A survey shows that, for each 1$ increases in the admission cost, 100 fewer ppl would visit the park.

Write an equation to express the revenue R(X) dollars, in terms of a price increase of x dollars

find the coordinates of the maximum point of this function--> I think for this you complete the square and the coordinates is the vertex.

what admission cost gives you the maximum revenue--> is this the x value?

how many visitors give the maximum revenue? is this the y value?

please help me I am a little lost thanks :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
aisha said:
I used to know how to do this but I can't remember can someone please help me out?

An amusement park charges $8 admission and average of 2000 visitors per day. A survey shows that, for each 1$ increases in the admission cost, 100 fewer ppl would visit the park.

Write an equation to express the revenue R(X) dollars, in terms of a price increase of x dollars

find the coordinates of the maximum point of this function--> I think for this you complete the square and the coordinates is the vertex.

what admission cost gives you the maximum revenue--> is this the x value?

how many visitors give the maximum revenue? is this the y value?

please help me I am a little lost thanks :redface:

Set up an equation that relates price and visitors to revenue (8 is your base price and 2000 is your base visitors, so as price increases by a certain amount, how much does your number of visitors decrease)

Take the derivative of the equation.

Set the derivative to zero and solve for your variable. (First derivative test). The solution(s) will usually be either a local maximum or local minimum. Do the second derivative test by plugging the solution into the second derivative (>0 means min.; <0 means max; 0 or does not exist means test fails and you have to do a couple trial and error test cases).

In this case, you only have one solution that makes the derivative equal to zero. If you reduce the price to zero, you'll have no revenue (derivative is not zero, since if you start paying to come, you'll have plenty of visitors). If you increase the price too far, you'll have no visitors, hence no revenue (derivative is not zero on this end either - in fact, you can have negative visitors - the price is so high that even the people who illegally jumped the fence to get in want a refund). So, it should be obvious that any critical point (such as a derivative equal to zero) in between will be your max.

Got it don't know if its right?

can someone check this well i got the eqn to be
R=(2000-100x)(8+x)

after completing the square i got vertex of (6,19600) so this means that the admission should be increase by 6 dollars to get max revenue
the number of visitors that give the max revenue are 19600 is this right?
thanks for ur help every one

Yes, a $6 increase gets you revenue of $19,600 (1400 visitors)

1. What is a "Max min quadratic problem"?

A "Max min quadratic problem" is a type of optimization problem in which the objective is to maximize or minimize a quadratic function with certain constraints. The goal is to find the values of the variables that will result in the highest or lowest possible value of the function.

2. What is the general form of a max min quadratic problem?

The general form of a max min quadratic problem is:

Maximize or minimize f(x) = ax2 + bx + c,

subject to constraints g(x) ≤ d and h(x) = e,

where a, b, c, d, and e are constants and x is the variable being optimized.

3. How do you solve a max min quadratic problem?

To solve a max min quadratic problem, you can use various mathematical methods such as the quadratic formula, completing the square, or differential calculus. It is also possible to use software programs or online calculators specifically designed for solving optimization problems.

4. What are some real-life applications of max min quadratic problems?

Max min quadratic problems can be found in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics. Some examples include optimizing the design of a bridge to withstand the maximum weight while minimizing construction costs, determining the optimal production level for a company to maximize profits, and finding the trajectory of a projectile to hit a target with minimum energy consumption.

5. Can a max min quadratic problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, a max min quadratic problem can have multiple solutions. This can happen when the quadratic function has multiple critical points or when the constraints allow for more than one feasible solution. In such cases, it is important to check all possible solutions and determine which one gives the maximum or minimum value of the function.