Max of Cont. Fxn: Answer & Analysis

• Thread starter Somefantastik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max
In summary, the maximum of the function f(t) = nte-nt for t in the interval [0,1] is 1/e, which is approached by a sequence of maxima that all equal to 1/e as n approaches infinity. The derivative test should be checked for extreme points as well, as it may miss those points.
Somefantastik

Homework Statement

max{nte-nt: t in [0,1]} = ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

if f(t) = nte-nt

f '(t)= ne-nt - te-nt

= e-nt(n-t)

set equal to zero to get critical points:

0 = = e-nt(n-t) => two critical points: t1 = n and t2 = -1/n;

plugging the cp's back into the original equation, we get

f(t1) = n2/en2, which converges to 0 as n-> infy

f(t2) = -e which converges to -e for all n.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your derivative again, especially the second factor.

Yep, ok

so f ' (t) = ne-nt - n2te-nt

and 0 = e-nt(n-n2t)

=> e-nt = 0 && n(n-t)=0 <=> t = n

so t= n is my critical point?

let tc = t = n,
Plugging that back into the original,

f(tc) = n2e-n2

and I still get lim f(tc) = lim e-n2 (after l'hopital)

Can you see another mistake? I'm very sure the max of this function is not zero.

From what I see from the original statement, the function is defined only for [itex]t \in \left[0,1\right][/itex], so does [itex]t_c=n[/itex] makes sense? What is the derivative's sign?

Just noticed something. Are you sure that you have the correct critical point? [itex]n-n^{2}t=0[/itex] gives t=?.

JSuarez said:
Are you sure that you have the correct critical point?

No, but the other ones didn't seem relevant. e-nt = 0 doesn't make any sense.

See the other post.

JSuarez said:
Just noticed something. Are you sure that you have the correct critical point? [itex]n-n^{2}t=0[/itex] gives t=?.

How embarrassing :redface:

then n-n2t = 0 => tc = 1/n

=> f(tc) = e-n

which still converges to zero as n -> inf

unless, since we are considering the uniform norm [tex]\left\|\cdot\right\|_{\infty} = max\left{\{\left|f(t)\right| : t \in [0,1] \right\} [/tex]

taking the absolute value of e-n would ensure that the max is infinite (sup)

?

But substituting t=1/n gives 1/e, not 1/(e^n). You should also check if the maximum doesn't occur at the extreme points of the interval (in this case t=1; t=0, gives 0); the derivative test misses those ones.

Ok...I need sleep apparently. Thanks so much for your time.

We all do:zzz:. But I've checked it: there is a sequence of maxima approaching 0, and all equal to 1/e.

1. What is "Max of Cont. Fxn"?

"Max of Cont. Fxn" is short for "Maximum of Continuous Function." It is a concept in calculus that refers to the highest point on a continuous curve or function.

2. How is the maximum of a continuous function found?

The maximum of a continuous function can be found by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero. This will give you the critical points, which are points where the slope of the function is either zero or undefined. Then, you can plug these points back into the original function to determine which one gives the highest value, which is the maximum.

3. Can a continuous function have more than one maximum?

No, a continuous function can only have one maximum. This is because a maximum point is the highest point on a function, and there can only be one highest point.

4. How is the maximum of a continuous function different from the maximum of a discrete function?

The maximum of a continuous function refers to the highest point on a smooth, unbroken curve. In contrast, the maximum of a discrete function refers to the highest value among a set of distinct, separate data points. The maximum of a continuous function can also be found algebraically using calculus, whereas the maximum of a discrete function can be found by simply comparing the values in the data set.

5. Why is finding the maximum of a continuous function important?

Finding the maximum of a continuous function is important in many applications, such as optimization problems in economics, physics, and engineering. It allows us to determine the optimal value of a variable, which can help us make informed decisions and improve efficiency.