Max/Min of xlnx^2: Getting Help w/Math Homework

• Thread starter 939
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max
In summary, The student is weak at math, and is attempting to solve an equation for the max or min value of a variable. They simplify the equation and find that y' = (lnx^2) + (x)(2x/x^2). They then need to find a way to set y' = 0, and come up with the equation y = (2lnx) + (2) which is valid.

Homework Statement

Please check my answer. I am weak at math.

Homework Equations

Y = xlnx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Y' = (lnx^2) + (x)(2x/x^2)

For the max/min, I would just set Y' = 0 by trial and error and then do y", but I don't want to do that until I know y' is correct.

Please help =(

Physics news on Phys.org
939 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Y = xlnx^2

For the max/min, I would just set Y' = 0 by trial and error and then do y", but I don't want to do that until I know y' is correct.

Please help =(

Your Y' is OK. Solving the equation Y' = 0 should be easy, and does not need "trial and error". Hint: look at the form of Y'; simplify it as much as possible.

RGV

939 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Y = xlnx^2

Please help =(

Looks ok so far if you mean x*ln(x^2). You could simplify the second term quite a bit.

Thanks for such quick anwers.

So I simplify y' a little bit and have:

y ' = (lnx^2) + (x)(2x/x^2)
y ' = (lnx^2) + (2x^2/x^2)
y ' = (2lnx) + (2x/x)
y = (2lnx) + (2)

But how can I set y ' = 0? 2lnx would have to be - 2, no? It would be invalid, wouldn't it? :-/

939 said:
Thanks for such quick anwers.

So I simplify y' a little bit and have:

y ' = (lnx^2) + (x)(2x/x^2)
y ' = (lnx^2) + (2x^2/x^2)
y ' = (2lnx) + (2x/x)
y = (2lnx) + (2)

But how can I set y ' = 0? 2lnx would have to be - 2, no? It would be invalid, wouldn't it? :-/

Not at all. Some numbers have negative logs. Think about that a bit more.

Dick said:
Not at all. Some numbers have negative logs. Think about that a bit more.

Got it. Thanks a lot for the help! =)

1. What is the maximum value of xlnx^2?

The maximum value of xlnx^2 is achieved when x = e, which results in a maximum value of e*ln(e^2) = 2e.

2. What is the minimum value of xlnx^2?

The minimum value of xlnx^2 is achieved when x = 1, which results in a minimum value of 1*ln(1^2) = 0.

3. How do I find the maximum and minimum values of xlnx^2?

To find the maximum and minimum values of xlnx^2, take the derivative of the function and set it equal to 0. Solve for x to find the critical points, and then plug those values into the second derivative test to determine if they are maximum or minimum values.

4. Can you show me an example of finding the maximum and minimum values of xlnx^2?

For example, if we have the function f(x) = xlnx^2, we can take the derivative: f'(x) = 2lnx + 1. Setting this equal to 0, we get x = e^-1 = 1/e. Plugging this into the second derivative f''(x) = 2/x, we see that it is positive, indicating a minimum value. Therefore, the minimum value of xlnx^2 is f(1/e) = 1/e * ln((1/e)^2) = -2/e.

5. Do I need to use calculus to find the maximum and minimum values of xlnx^2?

Yes, since xlnx^2 is a polynomial with a degree higher than 2, it cannot be solved using basic algebraic methods. Calculus is necessary to find the critical points and use the second derivative test to determine the nature of these points.