Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max OS X Software Development

1. Jan 3, 2005 #1
    So.. I recently ordered a iBook with OS X. I might be making that switch to "the dark side." I really don't know much about the OS, other than that it's built on a unix platform.

May I ask what software I can download to start developing (small, useless) applications for the Mac?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2005 #2

Gold Member

If you're buying the laptop as new, it should ship with OSX 10.3, which will include development tools. This would include the OSX IDE, "Project Builder," the GNU Compiler Collection (includes C, C++, and Fortran 77 compilers), and JDK 1.4.2_06, if I remember correctly. The development tools might not be installed by default, but a CD should be included, so just pop it in and install them.

OSX is pretty dependent on these Apple development tools. You could always get the GCC binaries direct from GNU, however, you'll miss out on all the good libs (altivec math ones, especially). There's no JDK other than the one included in the development tools for OSX that I know of.

10.2 and 10.1 development tools can be found on Apple's development website, should be a simple Google search away.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?