1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max Planck's Contributions to Physics. How does it apply to everyday life?

1. Jan 9, 2005 #1
    I have a presentation to do in Physics tomorrow on Max Planck.

How does quantum theory and black body radiation apply to everyday life?

I've looked everywhere for it but can't find anything! If someone could just point me into the direction of a website or something I would be very happy.

I've been stressing over this project for the past week.

I know that perfect examples of black body radiation is the earth and sun but is it everyday life? I think it is.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the sun were not a BB radiator, and say it radiated only within some small band of wavelengths, how would that affect the way we see things ?

Any devices that involved microscopic manipulations of atoms, molecules, ions, electrons or photons (remember, all EM radiation is made up of photons; not just visible light) are designed using calculations based on quantum theory. Can you think of a few such devices ?

Hint : you don't have to be an 'idiot' to think of this one.
  4. Jan 9, 2005 #3
    are you implying that I'm an idiot?
  5. Jan 9, 2005 #4
    And can you put that in simpler terms for me?

Mind you that I'm a hs junior
  6. Jan 10, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm sure Gokul didn't mean offending you in any way... :uhh:

As for the question itself,'hs junior' means first year of HS...??If so,then what does physics taught in the first year of HS goota do with Max Planck??
    Do you know thermodynamics??Max Planck had great contributions to thermodynamics.Do you know quantum theory...??Max Planck founded quantum theory.

7. Jan 10, 2005 #6

Homework Helper

Quantum theory began with Planck. Quantum theory led to the understanding of semiconductors... which in turn led to the diode, transistor and microchips...

Of course there are others that contributed to quantum theory along the way.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?