Algebraically determine the max height the snowball reaches

In summary, the function h= -4.9t^2 + 20t + 1.8 represents the height, h, in meters of a snowball thrown into the air at time, t, in seconds. To find the maximum height the snowball reaches, complete the square to find the vertex of the parabola. To determine how long the snowball is in the air, plug in the height and solve for time. Calculus is not necessary for part a.
lauren
my teacher gave me this q:
a snowball if thrown into the air. The function h= -4.9t^2 + 20t + 1.8 expresses the relationship between height, h, in meters and time, t, in seconds.
a) algebraically determine the max height the snowball reaches
b) how long is the snowball in the air?

i know to solve b you just need to plug in your h and solve for t. however for part a, i am not sure how to solve the max. can someone help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you have an equation for the velocity of the projectile as a function of time?

If not, do you know that velocity is the derivative of position with respect to time?

In either case, note that the ball reaches its maximum height when the velocity is zero.

no, all the info i got to solve this q i posted

Have you studied calculus?

lauren said:
my teacher gave me this q:
a snowball if thrown into the air. The function h= -4.9t^2 + 20t + 1.8 expresses the relationship between height, h, in meters and time, t, in seconds.
a) algebraically determine the max height the snowball reaches
b) how long is the snowball in the air?

i know to solve b you just need to plug in your h and solve for t. however for part a, i am not sure how to solve the max. can someone help?

h= -4.9t2+ 20t+ 1.8 is a quadratic. Its graph is a parabola with vertex at the top. Complete the square to find the vertex. You don't need to use calculus.

1. How do you algebraically determine the max height a snowball reaches?

To determine the max height a snowball reaches algebraically, you will need to use the equation h(t) = -16t^2 + vt + h, where h(t) represents the height of the snowball at time t, v is the initial velocity of the snowball, and h is the initial height of the snowball. You will need to plug in the values for t, v, and h to solve for the max height.

2. What are the units for the variables in the equation?

The units for the variables are as follows:

• h(t) - height (in feet)
  • t - time (in seconds)
  • v - velocity (in feet per second)
  • h - initial height (in feet)

3. Can you explain the significance of the -16 in the equation?

The -16 in the equation represents the acceleration due to gravity, which is -32 feet per second squared. However, since the snowball is thrown upwards, we use -16 to represent the acceleration in the vertical direction.

4. What initial height should be used if the snowball is thrown from the ground?

If the snowball is thrown from the ground, then the initial height h would be 0, since the ground is considered the starting point for the snowball's height.

5. Is there a maximum height that a snowball can reach?

Yes, there is a maximum height that a snowball can reach. This is determined by the initial velocity and the angle at which the snowball is thrown. Using the equation provided, you can solve for the time at which the snowball reaches its maximum height. However, factors such as air resistance and wind can affect the actual maximum height reached.