Maximize Range of Dropped Ball from a Wedge

In summary, the conversation discusses optimizing the height and angle at which a ball is dropped from a wedge in order to maximize its range. The attempt at a solution involves using calculus of variations, but the expression for range is complicated and difficult to optimize. There is also discussion about using conservation of momentum and assumptions about the angle to simplify the problem. Ultimately, it is determined that the optimum angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, but this may change depending on the movement of the wedge.
IHateMayonnaise

Homework Statement

I'm attaching a drawing depicting the problem, hopefully the mods will approve it soon. In words: A ball is dropped from some height [itex]h_0[/itex] and hits a point on a wedge at some angle [itex]\theta[/itex] at some height up the wedge [itex]h^\prime[/itex]. Optimize [itex]h^\prime[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] for which the range is maximized.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first reaction is to use calculus of variations, however I'm not quite sure this is a viable option, as I don't really see any constraints that I could use to create some Lagrange multipliers. The problem basically boils down to "if someone throws a ball at an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with an initial velocity [itex]v_0[/itex] while standing on a cliff of height [itex]h^\prime[/itex], find the max range."

The velocity can be found by conservations of energy:

[tex] mg(h_0-h^\prime) = 1/2 m v^2 \rightarrow v = \sqrt{2g(h_0-h^\prime)}[/tex]

Applying kinematics along the y-direction to get the time, then doing kinematics along the x direction I arrive at (haven't check this, but this isn't the problem):

[tex]
\Delta x = \frac{\sqrt{2g(h_0-h^\prime)}\cos\theta}{g} \left[\sqrt{2g(h_0-h^\prime)}\sin\theta - \sqrt{2gh_0\sin^2\theta + 2gh^\prime\cos^2\theta}\right]
[/tex]

Assuming this is correct, and I'm not saying it is, what would I do? How would I go about optimizing this? I am looking to find/optimize both [itex]h^\prime[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex]. Would I take the derivative with respect to [itex]h^\prime[/itex] and set it equal to zero to find the best value? Would there be an easier way?

Thanks yall

IHateMayonnaise

Attachments

• IMG_20101231_114321-1.jpg
    IMG_20101231_114321-1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming your expression for [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is correct, the way to proceed is to take partial derivatives with respect to h' and [itex]\theta[/itex] and set each equal to zero. You will thus have two (nonlinear) equations in two unknowns to solve.

[edit] I think your expression for [itex]\Delta x[/itex] isn't correct. If you let h'/h0 = a and factor h0 from the right side (in brackets), the value of the right side in brackets is negative for all values of a between 0 and 1 for a reasonable value for [itex]\theta[/itex] (e.g. 45 degrees).

Last edited:
hotvette said:
Assuming your expression for [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is correct, the way to proceed is to take partial derivatives with respect to h' and [itex]\theta[/itex] and set each equal to zero. You will thus have two (nonlinear) equations in two unknowns to solve.

Thanks for the reply hotvette.

I was afraid you were going to say that; as you can see this expression is not so fun, differentiably speaking. I checked my work and there were a couple mistakes, but it is equally disgusting. I differentiated in Mathematica, set them equal, and it can't solve it. My thoughts: I must be doing this wrong. I am fairly sure that there must be an analytical solution to this, and I would hate to have to have a numerical one...

Have you tried using conservation of momentum to find the angle [tex]\theta[/tex]? There are also some things you can assume about it to give maximum range.

viscousflow said:
Have you tried using conservation of momentum to find the angle [tex]\theta[/tex]? There are also some things you can assume about it to give maximum range.

I don't mean to be a lazy moocher, but can you be a bit more specific?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you assume no drag and only gravitational effects, from Dynamics an object shot in the air at an angle has a maximum range when the angle is 45 degrees. If you include drag effects its somewhere between 20 and 30 degrees.

Also, you must be able to use conservation of momentum with 2Dof to find an expression for [tex]\theta[/tex] to optimize [tex]h'[/tex].

I think viscousflow makes a good point about the optimum angle being 45 degrees, but that would be true only if the angle doesn't also affect h'. In other words, if the ramp were fixed horizontally and hinged, different angles would affect h'. But, if the ramp can also be moved right/left, then h' wouldn't depend on the angle. In the end I think you may have a single variable optimization problem.

1. What is the purpose of maximizing the range of a dropped ball from a wedge?

The purpose of maximizing the range of a dropped ball from a wedge is to achieve the maximum distance the ball can travel before hitting the ground. This can be beneficial in various fields such as sports, engineering, and physics.

2. How do you calculate the maximum range of a dropped ball from a wedge?

The maximum range of a dropped ball from a wedge can be calculated using the equation: R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity of the ball, θ is the angle of the wedge, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors can affect the maximum range of a dropped ball from a wedge?

The maximum range of a dropped ball from a wedge can be affected by factors such as the initial velocity of the ball, the angle of the wedge, air resistance, and the surface on which the ball is dropped.

4. How can you increase the maximum range of a dropped ball from a wedge?

The maximum range of a dropped ball from a wedge can be increased by increasing the initial velocity of the ball, adjusting the angle of the wedge, reducing air resistance, and choosing a surface with less friction for the ball to travel on.

5. What are some real-world applications of maximizing the range of a dropped ball from a wedge?

The concept of maximizing the range of a dropped ball from a wedge can be applied in various fields such as golf, baseball, and engineering. It can also be used to study the effects of air resistance and surface friction on the trajectory of a falling object.