Electron Maximum Speed in Uniformly Charged Sphere

In summary, the problem involves an electron starting from rest 15.0 cm from the center of a uniformly charged insulating sphere with a radius of 10.0 cm and a negative charge of -3.00 μC. The goal is to find the maximum speed the electron can reach after being released, using the equations ke = 8.99e9 Nm^2/C^2, k = 1/2 mv^2, E = k*Q/r^2, e = - 1.6e-19 C, and me = 9.11e-31 kg. There is some confusion regarding the total charge of the sphere, but it is likely that the word "negative" was used
trignum07
max speed --> electron

1. An electron starts from rest 15.0 cm from the center of a uniformly charged insulating sphere of radius 10.0 cm and total negative charge -3.00 μC.What is the maximum speed (in m/s) the electron can reach after releasing it? (Note: Assume a reference level of the potential V = 0 at r = ∞)

Homework Equations

ke = 8.99e9 Nm^2/C^2
k = 1/2 mv^2
E = k*Q/r^2
e = - 1.6e-19 C
me = 9.11e-31 kg

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out what my Q will be in this problem, because I believe Q refers to the total charge of the sphere, not total negative charge of the sphere.

Please help, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

trignum07 said:
I can't figure out what my Q will be in this problem, because I believe Q refers to the total charge of the sphere, not total negative charge of the sphere.

If I had to guess, I would agree with you. I'm guessing that what is meant is that both the electron and the sphere are negatively charged. So I'm guessing what the problem means to say is, "total charge [of sphere] -3.00 μC." I'm guessing the word 'negative' was put in there just to emphasize that sphere is negatively charged.

On the other hand, there is enough information given in the problem to work it out the other way, with the sphere being positively charged. I sort of doubt this is what the problem's author meant, but there is enough information to work it out both ways if you wanted to.

Asking your instructor might be the best way to clear things up for sure. But if you're pressed on time, I'd initially assume the problem means "total charge of sphere is -3.00 μC."

What is the maximum speed of an electron?

The maximum speed of an electron is the speed of light, which is approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second.

How is the maximum speed of an electron determined?

The maximum speed of an electron is determined by its energy level and the strength of the electric and magnetic fields it is subjected to.

What is the significance of the maximum speed of an electron?

The maximum speed of an electron is significant because it is the fastest possible speed at which an object can travel in the universe.

Can an electron exceed the maximum speed?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, including electrons.

How does the maximum speed of an electron affect its behavior in an atom?

The maximum speed of an electron determines its orbit and energy level in an atom, as well as how it interacts with other particles.