1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max speed of an ev at give HP

1. Aug 20, 2007 #1
    Problem is to solve for max speed of an electric vehicle, given is the HP of motor (3 total), and the wind+rolling resistance of the vehicle at 60mph. Wind resistance should be regarded as a constant for this problem. Also given is EV weight with cargo and rider

Motor HP = 5, 10 , 20
    Resistance is constant @ 165lbs.
    EV weight = 2250lbs.

Solve for the given 3 hp varables.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You really have to at least try and solve the question - see the sticky at the top of the thread,

To get you started.
    Energy is force * distance
    Power is energy / time
    Speed is distance / time
    At constant speed you only have to overcome resistance
  4. Aug 20, 2007 #3
    I can solve for horsepower needed at a given speed. For example: with the above constants it is 22.3hp to maintain 60mph. However I can not take a power amount and result with the max speed. I could use trial and error perhaps, until I get results with the required hp ratings but this is a very poor way to answer the question.
  5. Aug 20, 2007 #4
    PS this is not homework I am building this EV, I need to know what size engine.
  6. Aug 20, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok then, 5hp is 3728W 165lbs force = 734 Newtons.
    Power = force * distance in 1 sec
    speed = distance/s = 3728/734 = 5 m/s = 11.2 MPH
    Because you are going at a constant speed on the flat the mass is ignored.

ps above about 10mph air resistance is proportional to velocity squared, so you constant resistance isn't a good model.
  7. Aug 21, 2007 #6
    I see, the problem I was having was I neglected to ignore the mass. Thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?