1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max speed of cart .

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1
    max speed of cart.....

A persone rides in a cart moving at a speed v at the top of a hill that is in the shape of an arc of a circle with radius r.
    determine the maximum speed that the cart may travel at the top of the hill without losing contact with the surface.

How do i know that the cart leaves the surface at values of v.
    what i mean, i dont know the steps or process on solving this. Im trying to think about this logically and im getting no where..
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Some problems can be solved just by looking at them and using some logic. This isn't one of them. You need to create your free body diagram, choose a coordinate system (cylindrical would seem appropriate), write the equations of motion, and go from there.

You'd be surprised how many physics problems can be solved by just plug-n-chug write the equations of motion and see what you get.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?