Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max tension of a chain

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    A chain is attached to the top of a vertical pole of height H located at x=0. The other end of the chain is attached to another pole of height H at x=a. Find the maximum tension T of the chain as a function of the length of the chain L. Assume that the weight density of the chain is $ (lambda)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2
    Well, how I would go about it is this:

Take a infinitesimally small portion of the chain say at some x, of length dx and do a free body diagram of this. You should end up with a differential equation which you can then
    1. integrate to find out the tension at each point in the chain and thus find the max.
    OR
    2. Find dT/dx from the equation you found and set it to zero, you'll get some value for the angle. That is your position of max tension.

I havent solved this yet, but intuition tells me the max tension should be somewhere near the point of application.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook