Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max Voltage Possible?

1. Jun 16, 2012 #1
    I would like to know if there is a maximum amount of Voltage one could run trhough a series of magnets for about 30 minutes. A friend says that he could run more than 8.4 X 10^21 V through a series of magnets but I don't think so. COuld he really just run that much electricity through multiple magnets for a signifigant amount of time like 30 minutes without any consequences?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2012 #2
    What do you mean by this?

4. Jun 17, 2012 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Andrew042, we do not "run voltage through a series of" anything, including a series of magnets. We may APPLY a voltage from point A to point B. So, you might apply some voltage to magnets. For what reason would anyone want to apply voltage to a series of magnets for some time period? Why do that?

The voltage your friend told you is approximately 8,400,000,000,000,000,000,000 Volts! That is so large I can't even say it in words! Your friend is exaggggerating!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook