Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MAX16802B Evaluation Kit Equations

1. Nov 1, 2007 #1
    Hello, (I believe I am posting in this right section. When I called for help, an engineer was helping me, so if it's in the wrong section...sorry!)

I am currently a student at Laguna Creek High School; recently, a teacher from my school won the grant of $30,000 from SMUD to build some solar panels and whatnot. I'm participating currently in this project, and we are using the MAX16802B Evaluation Kit for the circuit boards.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit hazy on the equations that the instruction manual has provided. I really can't understand them. I have called the actual company and spoken with a technician who helped a bit, but I was limited in time during that moment, and didn't quite receive as much information as I needed.

Attached are the actual instructions that you can see, or if you would prefer, you can download it right off the site: http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/5209

I know that the first equation is for the diode, which gives off a percentage; I would switch the diode on and off very quickly, and for example, if it was at 50%, half of the time, the diodes will be on, and the other half, it would be off.

I believe that the third equation is the one that helps us choose our conductor size, and the technician said for the seventh equation that R9 would be a small value.

My knowledge, unfortunately, is very limited, and it's been difficult for me to interpret this information. I have some of it down, but I need to comprehend a good amount of these. Any information about those equations or anything in general would be greatly appreciated. I will probably attempt to call the Maxim company again, but I also want to ask as many experienced, knowledgeable as I can.

An additional question: Also, if the diodes' locations were altered somehow, how would that affect the actual circuit?

I believe that the brightness would go down; the technician also said that I would need to adjust the values of inductors and resistor R9 to draw more power from the source.

Would there be any more effects that I would need to know about?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted